Recounts responses to problem laboratory design questions. Explores smoker's emotional responses to issues about cigarette design and positioning. Includes brainstorming, ideas, springboards, and concepts relating to smoking perception, image, desires and psychology. Draws no conclusions.
Page 1: zuf78d00
R J REY!JOLDS PROBLEM LABORATORY September 2%, 1982
SESSICN: I A
Identify a cigarette which better alleviates negative feelings ar,d
enhances positive feelings.
1. I wish I knew exactly what was physiol ical and psychological part.
2. I wish there were a cig. that I would smoke to help through the tedious
tasks of the day.
3. I wish a cig. that inspired me to go about activities - cig. that imparts drive.
4. How to have a Chinook filtered cigarette (filter like a wind phamber), '
enhances smoke before gets into mouth
5. How to have an action happening in my hands that inspire me to act.
6. How to have a cig. which would satisfy hunger pains/quench thirst.
7. How to enhance the tactileness of a cig. (e.g. serations or ribbonning around
8. How to have a cig. which helps you know "where you're at ... where you are
9.. How to have a cig: let me know I've achieved something - feeling of'self-worth.
10. How to turn tar into something valuable.
11. How to treat filter so when tar comes through, it tells you you've won -
12. How to have a promo campaign - like a lottery - what appears on outer wrapping
is a code.
13. How to have a 5 foot long cigarette(at the end - a feeling of accomplishment)
14. How to have a filter that doesn't have brown stain at end.
so can say cleaner smoke at end.
15. How to change color of filter element - like from magenta to purple. ~
16. How to have a cig. that helps you to better "think"
i.e. Vitamin E N
17. How to have a crystal cocaine rock filter. ~
18. How to have a cig. which gives you a perspective on the problem you are solving. °
19. How to have the cig. that will make you feel better when you're down in the dumps.
Page 2: zuf78d00
RJR PRQBLEM LA,B. ~~ Page 2
20. How to have a cig. that helps me reduce high blood pressure.
21. How to have a cig. which aids in alleviating exhaustion.
22. How to have a cig. which is always loyal/stands by you.
23. How to have a cig. that I don't mind smoking because of other people around me.
24. How to have a cig. that I can eat or smoke.
25. How to have a cig. I can be proud of.
26. How to have a cig. that makes the proud and exciting moments better
27. How to have a $25 cig.
28. How to have a cig. which gives you a felling of authority.
29. How to have a cig. that helps me think better (during confusion, anticipation).
30. How to have a cig. which turns off the left side or right side of brain
31. Wish cig. can smoke when-pregnant and gives peace of mind. ,
32. How to have contraceptive cig.
33. How to have a cig. which makes you life of the party.
34. How to have a cig. without an aura of controversy - can offer it proudly.
(no uncertainty) - I know health effects or lack of it.
35. How to have the honest politician cig.
36. How to have a cig. that picks me up and makes me feel better when depressed.
37. How to have a cig. that works like a quiet moment: e.g. it "shuts the door,"
"sets mood of relaxation;" "removes pressures."
38. How to have a cig. like a hug, or it "kisses your lips".
39. dow to have a pulsating wet end filter.
(patented osculating filter)
"Fish Lips" filter.
Page 3: zuf78d00
R J REYNOLDS PROBLE'M LABORATORY September 29,1982
~ Q'IEM' Peggy & Ernie SFSSICN= 1 B 9:30-10:15
Develop ways to capitalize on mood enhancement
1. How to get a cigarette that gives same kick as marijuana
2. How to keep the 'high' going
3. How to have an extender, e.g. physical product
4. -Wish for a cigarette that gave me the extended relaxation of Vallium
5. Wish for a cigarette that lets me be less concerned about smoking
6. Wish for a cigarette that was more potent at night
e.g. evens out mood enhancement over time.
7. Wish for a cigarette that increases my mental activity
8. How to have a cigarette that gives you more energy
9. How to get an adrenalin input from cigarette
10. How to have a thinking person's cig.
11. Wish to have a cig. for times you need to ponder
12. How have a cig. that stimulates you like a coffee or tea
13. e.g. feel
Wish for a cig. better about self
that would help me solve a problem
14. How have a cig. that cures with leaving it our over night
15. How to see the smoke of a cig. and steam of coffee mix to provide
16. something better
How to build in the aroma aspects of coffee into a cig.
17. How a cig. that would enhance your sexuality
18. Wish for a cig. that blended with coffee to get a better aroma
19. How to have brands that you smoke indifferent situations
e.g. after dinner
20. How to have a cig. that would give you the 'cocktail' feeling
21. Wish to use a cig. as a dip stick
e.g. dip in Amereto
Page 4: zuf78d00
Ift ". RJR PROB. LAB Page 2
Session #1 B
22. How to have a cig. that makes my alcohol, beer taste better
( 23. How to have a cig. that sobers me up
e.g. cure hang-over
24. How to have a cig. that puts you to sleep.
25. How to have a cig. that delivers birth control agent and sexual stimu-
lant at same time
26. How to add herpes cure
27. How to enhance mood or environment around the cig.
28. How to have a Humphrey Bogart cig.
e.g. take risks
29. How to put a twist or a knot in a cig. that does something
e.g. worry bead
30. How to stimulate our glands to emit bodily chemicals
31. How to enhance the visual characteristics of the cig.
32. How to have a cig. that gets your adrenalin going
e.g. Grand Prix driver
33. How to have a cig. that gave me the thrill of doing something taboo
34. How to have a cig. that looks different and gives you the permission
to say anything you want to say
35. How to increase the trust level of people with this cig.
36. How to put biofeed back censor in*cig. to know how to deal with them
37. How to have a cig. that would help me read people's mind
38. Wish to invent a cig. that emits positive charged ions to change climate
in a room
Page 5: zuf78d00
R J REYNOLDS PROBLEM LABORATORY Sentc~nber 29, 1982
SESSICN: 2 A
Develop a new cigarette that will be perceived a,s eliminating or
alleviating Taste Burnout.
1. How to do what Schaeffer Beer did in their commercials - e.g. "The one beer
2. How to incorporate Freshen-Up given technology in a cigarette.
3. How to have a cigarette that soothes throat as you smoke it.
e.g. novacaine, local.anesthetics, etc.
4. How to have cig. that regenerates taste receptors as coffee does: cleans,
e.g. make 10th cig. in pack do #4; every "X" cig. is a head clearer or
5. How to have cig. that's new, fresh, forest green; regenerates all the time.
6. How to have cig. that have "pinch filter" to release numbing agent.
7. How to have a "wet smoke":
e.g. as you smoke cig., it precipitates in your mouth.
8. How to have a filter that eliminates "razor's edge" of smoke: riot just
a tar. trap, it's an irritant trap
Maybe cillia-tipped cig.
9. How to have a nasal-inhaled cig.
SPRINGBOARDS FROM EXCURSION
10. How to have a TB(] meter: taste/burn-out meter that tells me when to
switch brands. Its a gimmickto show that people don't burn-out on
11. How to have a cig. with sensing device on filter: measures amount of taste
build-up as you smoke, it regulates amount of smoke you get.
12. How to have cig. with very soft filter.
13. How to make a cig. that's not a cig.
simulates smoking but has no fire so would have no harshness, may only
appear to burn.
Page 6: zuf78d00
RJR PROB. LAB ~ Page 2
Session #2 A
I 14. How to have a cig. that smells so bad that it overcomes polluted air, or
15. How to have pack open only every 2 hrs.
Timed opening of pack.
Build: Time release flavor, maybe increase or decrease as you smoke.
16. How to have every 4th cig. not light, just go through motions.
17. How to have every 4th cig. so bad that next one's got to be better.
18. How to have a punk cig., smoke 50 a day and your tongue falls off.
Build: How to make taste burn-out desirable.
Build: How to call it "Dare": package in black paper: Theme is
"Are you up to the match."
Cross-project Build: when you smoke this cig. and achieve taste burn-
out, breathe into face of non-smoker and chase them out of
19. public areas.
How to have a pack where every next cig. is lower in tar.
20. Divide pack into high, medium, low tar so at night smoke less.
How to have a pack that's a variety of flavors. Callit "Rainbow".
~ 21. Wish to do something to cigs. that makes 4th cig."wash out mouth."
22. How to have a cig. that doesn't burn-out, take out of pack, lasts 5 minutes,
23. rejuvenates, then can be used again.
How to have a cig. that you don't want to smoke as much. Satisfies more than
4. a regular cig. so smoke less.
Build; "Savor": like brandy, you sip it, one puff, wait 5 minutes, then
another. Premixing smoke. Premium price.
How to make cig. with features of $25 cigar.
5. e.g. more expensive tobaccos
How to have a cig. that you have to learn to smoke, in order to enjoy,
6. you smoke it differently from conventional cigs.
Build: Teaches you to smoke the "right" way. Made to be enjoyed as
opposed to a.maintenance item in you day.
How to combine soft filter (#12) with slower smoking habits,ensure pampering,
Features: will go out by itself if drawn too hard, closes up.
Burns slower via tighter packing. Maybe fat, more to enjoy.
Page 7: zuf78d00
-R J REYNOLDS PROBLEM LABORATORY Septem4er 29, 1982
CLI~'vi': Ernie & Peggy SESSICN: #2 B 10:45-11:30 AM
Develop ideas that eliminate or alleviate the taste burn/build-up
1. How to build in an exhaust system to later on cigs.
2. How to have ultrasonic system cig. that vibrates the build-up out of mouth.
3. How to have a cig. that when inhaled you get a liquid and when exhale get
4. How have a cig. then where smoke residue doesn't solidigy - stays liquid/
5. How to have a new tobacco that while smoking it gets better and better.
6. How to have a cig. with holes that either lets something in or lets some-
7. How to have a cig. that prevents overload.
8. How to have a pack with a smoker's break option - e.g. in 20, maybe
9. How to have a cig. that gets supercharged by how long you hold flame to cig.
10. How to have a cig. that you inject taste difference.
11. How to have a smokeless cig. that doesn't burn - you inhale only tar and
12. How to have a cig. that.you get musical vibrations from - e.g. tingles the
13. How to have a cig. that gives me a kick -
. smoke inhaled tastes like "Tab".
14. How to have an extra set of filters to wrap around to change flavor.
15. How to sell a system - would be composed of different filters - basic cig.
is the same.
16. Wish we could target those who'll smoke forever.
a) sell them whole system.
17. How to have a cig. where paper impregnated with Tic Tacs.
18. How to have a cig. that you only smoke 1 per day.
19. Wish for throat exercises for those who are marathons.
e.g. provide a coating for throat.
20. How to say build-up = zppetite suppression,
Page 8: zuf78d00
RJR PROB. LAB. ~ Page 2
Session 2 B
21. 1 wish continuous smoking cleared nasal passages for more penetrating
medical applications, e.g. Vick's Vapo Rub®.
22. How to have the smoke deposit a wax to mouth and nasal passages so tar
and nicotine don't adhere.
23. How to have the build-up protect body from germs.
24. How to have a cig. with an anti-plaque build-up effect.
25. How to have a pre-tooth washing cig.
- heat or smoke would act as dirt loosener.
- a self-cleaning oven.
26. I wish build-up contained something that increased oxygen intake or the
feeling you get when you breathe pure oxygen.
27. How to have the build-up allow the body that releases natural body narcotics.
28. 1 wish I had a tongue jacket or vest.
e.g. When smoking heavy,you could have a protective shield or collector.
- build into cig. so get automatically.
29. How to have a cig. that revitalizes the taste buds.
30. How to have a cig. that reverses aging process.
31. How to have a cig. that whenever you buy a pack you get a percentage of
stock of RJR.
- have above to "trust fund".
- could have it stock in the brand.
Page 9: zuf78d00
R J REYNOLDS PROBLEM LABORATORY Septfter 29, 1982
CL== Doug SESSIaN= 3 A 11:40-12:40
Develop cigarette ideas that will help smokers overcome concerns
around social acceptability of smoking
1. Wish cig. when I smoke forms a halo aroung my head.
2. Wish cig. when I smoke produces beautiful music from me.
3. Wish a kazoo filter.
4. Wish a cig. that you don't mind smoking around babies.
5. Wish cig. that repells anti-smokers.
6. Wish cig. with smoke which incondesces (visual effect striking)
(maybe a party cig.)
7. Wish cig. that puts out good vibes or positive ions.
8. Wish cig. that lights up when phone rings.
9. How to have brand of cigs. for every pack or carton sold - donate 5t to
Un i ted Way..
10. Wish cig. where smoke condensed instead of expanded.
11. Wish a "black hole" cig. - absorbs smoke so just left with a little stub.
12. Wish cig. that makes you recognized as being creative - with certain strength.
13. Wish cig. makes you recognized as being thoughful of others.
14. Wish cig. that stabilizes bio-rhythms.
15. Wish a cig. that specially designed for occassions when social acceptance is
a problem (i.e. a cig. for restaurants)
16. Wish cig. had smoke without odor.
17. How to show smokers and non-smokers doing activities together.
18. Wish I knew what to do with cig. to be more thoughtful.
19. How to have an air-freshner cig. - tastes like tobacco - smells like Lysol
20. Wish cig. that does not stain curtains, windows - no residue
21. Wish cig. which will be perceived as less negative to young adults.
22. Wish a confirmed smokers cig.
23. How to have a Pacman cig. - it consumes its own smoke (like a turbo-charged cig.,
24. How to have a cotton candy cig.
Page 10: zuf78d00
RJR PROB. LAB Page 2
Session 3 A
25. Wish a cig. that has to be relit after every puff.
26. Wish a cig. that looks and acts like a cig. but steam comes off - like a
27. How to have recyclable smoke.
28. How to have non-irritating smoke/vapor.
29. How to have incense cig. (pleasant smelling).
30. How to have cig. that puts out a secondary smell - or neutralizes it. (A
unique, like pine, strawberry.)
31. How to have sexy smelling cig.
32. How to say "I care about you ... I will give up something, like a compromise."
33. How to compromise smoker and non-smoker - i.e. less smoke and less satisfaction.
34. How to have a non-tobacco cig.
35. How to make a healthier cig. (i.e. non-tobacco, to disarm the anti-smokers.)
36. How to have historical landmark cig. - support American tradition - like
37. How to go back to time when it was socially acceptable to smoke - a guilt-
38. How to make smoking an elitist, exclusive practice the way it once was.
39. How to recapture the good old smell of-cigs.
40. How to say I'm willing to smoke and pay exorbitant taxes, so that you don't
have to pay such high taxes. ~
41. How to set up a bribe so that non-smokers have to pay smokers not to smoke
42. How to sell cigs. for 25$ a pack.
43. How to have hand-rolled cig. (by mfr.)
44. How to have "smokers clubs" - smoking car
45. How to have Winston'FAN Club.
46. How to have a smokers' rebellion campaign.
47. How to have campaign like a survey to segment marketplace to show that most
successful people smoke our brand.
48. How emphasize the benefits fromtaxation to the economy from tobacco industry.
49. How to make side~stream smoke beneficial to non-smoker.