Exhibit 16 823 Witness Jorma Johannes Gustafsson
Date: Feb 1991 (est.)
Length: 5 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 5 pages
Jump To Images
- Gustafsson, J.J.
- LEGAL DEPT/EEMA ARCHIVE
- TRAN, TRANSCRIPT
- Named Organization
- Suomen Tupakka
- Tampere Ice Stadium
- Named Person
- Aho, P.
- Master ID
- 2501070290A-0293 Plaintiff Pensioner Pentti Kalevi Aho, Tampere, Represented As Before by Professor Erkki Aurejarvi and Attorney Juha Sivenius Defendants Suomen Tupakka Oy, Helsinki Represented As Before by Attorney Robert Liljestrim Oy Rettig Ab, Espoo, Represented As Before by Attorney Mikko Tulokas S 88/1623 Claim of Damage
- 2501070294-0338 Tobacco in Health Education
- 2501070339-0391 Suomen Tupakka's Brief No. 11 the Tobacco and Health Controversy and Education
- 2501070392-0396 Affidavit of Bea J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070397-0400 Biographical Data: Barbara J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070401-0403 Affidavit of Rodger L. Bick
- 2501070404-0447 Curriculum Vitae Roger L Bick, Md, Facp
- 2501070448-0450 Affidavit of Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
- 2501070451-0459 Curriculum Vitae Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
- 2501070460-0461 Affidavit of Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
- 2501070462-0471 Curriculum Vitae Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
- 2501070472-0474 Affidavit of Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070475-0495 Curriculum Vitae Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070496-0497 Affidavit of Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070498-0508 Curriculum Vitae Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070509-0510 Affidavit of John Edmond Salvaggio, M.D.D.
- 2501070511-0527 Curriculum Vitae John Edmond Salvaggio
- 2501070528-0529 Affidavit of Gerhard N. Schrauzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070530-0535 Affidavit of Carl Seltzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070536-0545 Curriculum Vitae Carl Coleman Seltzer
- 2501070546-0549 Affidavit of Theodor D. Sterling, Ph.D.
- 2501070550-0574 Curriculum Vitae Theodor D. Sterling
- 2501070575-0669 Plaintiff's Brief in the Case of Pentti Kalevi Aho Vs. Suomen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab the Twelfth Hearing of the Case 910321
- 2501070670 Aho / Suomen Tupakka and Rettig, Testimonies
- 2501070672 Pentti Aho / Suomen Tupakka Oy Ja Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070674 Aho V. Suemen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070675-0676 Exhibit 15 471 Aurejarvi Statement
- 2501070677 Exhibit 16 471 Tulokas Statement
- 2501070683-0690 Exhibit 17 471 Witness Keijo Olavi Valdemar Solman
- 2501070691-0695 Exhibit 18 471 Witness Mauri Hannu Kulo
- 2501070696-0700 Exhibit 19 471 Witness Olli Luukkanen
Page 1: cry32e00
/' EXHIBIT 16m § 823 Witness Jorma Johannes Gustafsson Sivenius Gustafsson Sivenius Gustafsson Sivenius Gustafsson Sivenius Gustafsson Sivenius Gustafsson Sivenius Gustafsson Sivenius Gustafsson Sivenius How long has the witness known Pentti Aho? From the fall of 1965. How frequently has the witness had to do with Aho starting from 1965 to this day? Every day until Aho retired. When he retired, once or twice a month. When did Aho retire? In 1981. Did he smoke tobacco? Yes. Can you recall the brand? When he came to the house he smoked Klubi. What house? The ice stadium. In other words you were? Co-workers at the Tampere ice stadium. ~ ~ - C When Aho came to the ice stadium it happened in 1965, -4 ; how can you today remember so clearly what cigarettes 0 he smoked? j
Page 2: cry32e00
2 Gustafsson Because I smoke myself and everyone who smokes we are in the same work community, so indeed there ev- eryone remembers and knows what everyone smokes. Sivenius Did Aho at any time change brand? Gustafsson Changed almost immediately. All young boys as we smoked Nortti and so Aho also started to smoke Nortti. Sivenius Does the witness know, did Aho entirely give up smo- king Klubi? Gustafsson At work, but at home he had Klubi cigarettes, but he never smoked them when I was also. Then we both smoked Nortti. Sivenius The witness stated that you visited Aho at home. How often did you go there? Gustafsson During work time I came to go there twice a week. Sivenius Can the witness assess how much Aho smoked? Gustafsson One to two packs a day, in any event more than one. Sivenius It has been claimed in connection with this case that Aho would have smoked pipe, Kent and Gold Dollar cig- arettes. What can you say about that? Gustafsson It is not correct at least for the time when he worked at the stadium. If someone offered him some other ciga- rette, he would in no case take. He smoked only Nort- ti. Sivenius Aho was very loyal to his brand? N o ~ 0 Gustafsson Yes ! V ~ j o ~
Page 3: cry32e00
3 Sivenius Do you know which company manufactures Nortti? Gustafsson Suomen Tupakka. Sivenius Does the witness know, does Suomen Tupakka admit that cigarettes cause cancer? Gustafsson It does not. Sivenius Does the witness remember, was there at any time be- tween 1965 and this day any discussion with Aho about the possible health detriments of cigarettes, any haz- ards and that cigarette smoking causes cancer? Gustafsson No discussion. Sivenius A couple of questions about Aho's use of alcohol. There has been attempts in connection with this case to give such a picture of Aho that he from time to time drank quite heavily and even been drunk at work and that this would have lead to certain problems in his life. What is your view of Pentti Aho's alcohol use since 1965? Gustafsson I would say that he did not use at all. What we had sauna evenings, Christmas parties, the clubs had some closing celebrations, so there he could drink a bottle of beer with sausages and such, but that was it. (He) was never drunk at work, no have any hangover, did not go to the liquor store nor did anyone bring him booze. I rather consider him to be really an absolutist. Sivenius In other words if I claim that Aho was a drinker, then I am lying? Gustafsson Yes. Sivenius This Nortti that Aho smoked, it was a filter cigarette?
Page 4: cry32e00
4 Gustafsson Yes, Red Nortti. Tulokas How was Aho's health? Did he have to stay away from work because of illness? Gustafsson Very little. Tulokas Did he cough or have any other smoker's trouble? Gustafsson Doesn't almost everyone, who smokes, have tobacco cough. Tulokas But he had to retire early for health reasons. How much earlier could this be observed that he had pro- blems? Gustafsson In my opinion rather close to the time he retired. He was not sick in the beginning at all. He started to vi- sit doctors close to this year 1981. Tulokas Would you describe his job duties? Gustafsson He came first as a caretaker and was for a consider- able time doing caretaker jobs, but before he retired, I do not remember the exact year, he became sports arena attendant. Tulokas How was the work practice? Did it require physical ef- forts? Gustafsson In principle not, because the sports arena job was in principle driving the ice cleaning machine. Sivenius You mentioned the ice cleaning machine. Can you ex- plain what kind of equipment this is? Is it working with a combustion engine, electric, are there any emis- sions? Gustafsson The ice cleaning machine is gasoline engine driven. It gives very low emissions. They have been measured i s,
Page 5: cry32e00
5 many times. There is a very good ventilation. Down there where the machine is driven, there are good top fons which exhauste the gas emission away. It has been measures by the work safety representatives. The evaporation is insignificant, it evaporates there- from. Sivenius There was no air pollution or other harms. Gustafsson There cannot be any, becuase there are four of those corners, from which fresh air comes, warm air. They all come through filters and the filters are serviced regularly. During the season they are washed and cleaned and when the season is over, new filters are installed again. No pollution gets through.