Affidavit of Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
Date: 14 Mar 1990
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
- Lavia, M.F.
- LEGAL DEPT/EEMA ARCHIVE
- PLEA, PLEADING
- Named Organization
- American Assn of Immunologists
- American Society for Experimental Pathol
- Clinical Immunology Society
- Medical Univ of SC
- Named Person
- Lavia, M.F.
- Master ID
- 2501070290A-0293 Plaintiff Pensioner Pentti Kalevi Aho, Tampere, Represented As Before by Professor Erkki Aurejarvi and Attorney Juha Sivenius Defendants Suomen Tupakka Oy, Helsinki Represented As Before by Attorney Robert Liljestrim Oy Rettig Ab, Espoo, Represented As Before by Attorney Mikko Tulokas S 88/1623 Claim of Damage
- 2501070294-0338 Tobacco in Health Education
- 2501070339-0391 Suomen Tupakka's Brief No. 11 the Tobacco and Health Controversy and Education
- 2501070392-0396 Affidavit of Bea J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070397-0400 Biographical Data: Barbara J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070401-0403 Affidavit of Rodger L. Bick
- 2501070404-0447 Curriculum Vitae Roger L Bick, Md, Facp
- 2501070448-0450 Affidavit of Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
- 2501070451-0459 Curriculum Vitae Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
- 2501070462-0471 Curriculum Vitae Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
- 2501070472-0474 Affidavit of Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070475-0495 Curriculum Vitae Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070496-0497 Affidavit of Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070498-0508 Curriculum Vitae Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070509-0510 Affidavit of John Edmond Salvaggio, M.D.D.
- 2501070511-0527 Curriculum Vitae John Edmond Salvaggio
- 2501070528-0529 Affidavit of Gerhard N. Schrauzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070530-0535 Affidavit of Carl Seltzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070536-0545 Curriculum Vitae Carl Coleman Seltzer
- 2501070546-0549 Affidavit of Theodor D. Sterling, Ph.D.
- 2501070550-0574 Curriculum Vitae Theodor D. Sterling
- 2501070575-0669 Plaintiff's Brief in the Case of Pentti Kalevi Aho Vs. Suomen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab the Twelfth Hearing of the Case 910321
- 2501070670 Aho / Suomen Tupakka and Rettig, Testimonies
- 2501070672 Pentti Aho / Suomen Tupakka Oy Ja Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070674 Aho V. Suemen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070675-0676 Exhibit 15 471 Aurejarvi Statement
- 2501070677 Exhibit 16 471 Tulokas Statement
- 2501070678-0682 Exhibit 16 823 Witness Jorma Johannes Gustafsson
- 2501070683-0690 Exhibit 17 471 Witness Keijo Olavi Valdemar Solman
- 2501070691-0695 Exhibit 18 471 Witness Mauri Hannu Kulo
- 2501070696-0700 Exhibit 19 471 Witness Olli Luukkanen
Page 1: pqy32e00
1 Exhibit 6 * 471 AFFIDAVIT OF MARIANO F. LA VIA, M.D. 1. 2. 3. 4. Mariano F. La Via, M.D. being sworn, says: I am Mariano F. La Via, M.D., an immunologist and pathologist. I am a Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. I am a member of several scientific societies, including the American Association of Immunologists, the Clinical Immunology Society and the American Society for Experimental Pathology. My curriculum vitae and list of publications is attached. As an immunopathologist and researcher I have long been interested in the body's immune response to cancer, and more specifically in the possible role of immune mechanisms in the causation of neoplasia. My own research has examined some of the ways in which altered immune function may fail to control the growth and spread of cancer cells. In 1983, I presented testimony to a subcommittee of the United States Congress regarding smoking and cancer. A copy of my testimony is attached. I I
Page 2: pqy32e00
believed at that time, and still believe, that the cause or causes of many cancers, including the cancers that some claim are caused by smoking, still elude us and that many of the mechanisms that make cancer cells grow and invade are still obscure. 5. Many other scientists presented testimony at the hearing. Some concluded that smoking causes cancer and others shared my opinion that a relationship between smoking and cancer has not been scientifically established. 6. My own research and continuing review of the scientific literature relating to cancer indicate that the difference of opinion about the relationship between smoking and cancer has existed for decades and continues today. Mariano F. La Via, M.D. Swo nto bef e me this ' C day of ` U Zc~ 1990. r- l. o NOTARY PLyDLIC 2