Curriculum Vitae Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
Date: Feb 1990 (est.)
Length: 9 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 9 pages
Jump To Images
- Farris, J.M.
- LEGAL DEPT/EEMA ARCHIVE
- RESU, RESUME
- BIBL, BIBLIOGRAPHY
- Named Organization
- Univ of Ca Los Angeles
- Univ of Ca San Diego
- Univ of Mi
- Usc, Univ. Of Southern Ca
- American Board of Surgery
- American Cancer Soc Med + Sci Adv Panel
- American Cancer Soc Prof Education Comm
- Ca Hospital Medical Center Los Angeles
- Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton
- Univ of Ca Irvine
- Master ID
- 2501070290A-0293 Plaintiff Pensioner Pentti Kalevi Aho, Tampere, Represented As Before by Professor Erkki Aurejarvi and Attorney Juha Sivenius Defendants Suomen Tupakka Oy, Helsinki Represented As Before by Attorney Robert Liljestrim Oy Rettig Ab, Espoo, Represented As Before by Attorney Mikko Tulokas S 88/1623 Claim of Damage
- 2501070294-0338 Tobacco in Health Education
- 2501070339-0391 Suomen Tupakka's Brief No. 11 the Tobacco and Health Controversy and Education
- 2501070392-0396 Affidavit of Bea J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070397-0400 Biographical Data: Barbara J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070401-0403 Affidavit of Rodger L. Bick
- 2501070404-0447 Curriculum Vitae Roger L Bick, Md, Facp
- 2501070448-0450 Affidavit of Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
- 2501070460-0461 Affidavit of Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
- 2501070462-0471 Curriculum Vitae Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
- 2501070472-0474 Affidavit of Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070475-0495 Curriculum Vitae Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070496-0497 Affidavit of Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070498-0508 Curriculum Vitae Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070509-0510 Affidavit of John Edmond Salvaggio, M.D.D.
- 2501070511-0527 Curriculum Vitae John Edmond Salvaggio
- 2501070528-0529 Affidavit of Gerhard N. Schrauzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070530-0535 Affidavit of Carl Seltzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070536-0545 Curriculum Vitae Carl Coleman Seltzer
- 2501070546-0549 Affidavit of Theodor D. Sterling, Ph.D.
- 2501070550-0574 Curriculum Vitae Theodor D. Sterling
- 2501070575-0669 Plaintiff's Brief in the Case of Pentti Kalevi Aho Vs. Suomen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab the Twelfth Hearing of the Case 910321
- 2501070670 Aho / Suomen Tupakka and Rettig, Testimonies
- 2501070672 Pentti Aho / Suomen Tupakka Oy Ja Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070674 Aho V. Suemen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070675-0676 Exhibit 15 471 Aurejarvi Statement
- 2501070677 Exhibit 16 471 Tulokas Statement
- 2501070678-0682 Exhibit 16 823 Witness Jorma Johannes Gustafsson
- 2501070683-0690 Exhibit 17 471 Witness Keijo Olavi Valdemar Solman
- 2501070691-0695 Exhibit 18 471 Witness Mauri Hannu Kulo
- 2501070696-0700 Exhibit 19 471 Witness Olli Luukkanen
Page 1: oqy32e00
R: REDACTED MATERIAL CURRICULUM VITAE aAC=c 1-MTSZUtwp rr,nn=E j rt. a. Rremedica3. Educat ons Utxlvrirbs.r.y Oz LrC177Caa2cca - ta.a. il3* Utnivoraity vf 2Icbranka - ~.5. 193d Medical Educat on: University of Nebraska - M.D. 1937 Fami REDACTED Internshios: University of Michigan Junior - 1937-1938 Senior - 1938-1939 Resid nc es: University of Michigan Assistant Resident - 1939-1940 Resident - 1940-1941 1941-1942 REDACTED 1942-1943 Board Certification: rs ~ 0 American Board of Surgery - 1945 ~ International Board of Proctology - 1973 a ~ 0 .~ i
Page 2: oqy32e00
2. Curriculum Vitae Jack Matthews Farris, M.D. Staff :riRL't ntments Qniversitv of ichiQan: instructor in Surgery, University of Mf.chigan, 1941-1943 Assigtant Professor of Surgery, University of Michigan, 1945-1947 (tenure) Subseqment Teachinq,Ap$ointmentst Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of Southern California, 1948-1950. Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, 1950-1953. Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of California at Los Ange2est 1954-1963. Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of California, Irvine, 1966-1983. Professor of Surgery, University of California at San Diego, 1973-1983. Consultant to Naval Hospital, Camp Pendleton, 1947-1983. H4sp3.tal. Appointments t Senior Consultant in Surgery, Long Beach Veterans Hospital. Chief, Surgical Service, California Hospital Medical Center, Los Angeles, 1956 (past). Chief, Surgical Service, Harbor General Hospital, Torrance, California (past). Staff Surgeon, Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, Los Ang$les.. Executive Committee, Department of Surgei-y, University of California at San Diego. Other ApQ,ointmentsr Chairman, Region IX (Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona), American College of Surgeons Regionalization Program - Commission on ~ Cancer. Professional Education Committee, American Cancer Society, California Division (past). N Medical and Scientific Advisory Panel, American Cancer ~ 0 Society of Los Angeles County (past). Board of Directors, Medical Research Association of California. r Q y © .~ Board of Directors, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation cn ~ ~. .. .. .c.~. .. :. . . z.i-- 44 t'' --' - =~:.. s.. . . -
Page 3: oqy32e00
R: REDACTED MATERIAL 3. Curriculum Vitae Jack Matthews Farris, M.D. REDACTED REDACTED Miiitary Record: Rank: Ma jor Active Duty: United States Army Medical Corps, 6-10-43 to 2-5-46. Overseas Duty: European Theater of Operations, 6-10-43 to 6-15-45. Assignmentst University of Michigan - 298th General Hospital, England. British Military Hospital, Shaftesbury, England. Chief, 4th Auxiliary Surgical Group, Third Army, Europe. Awards and Citations: u; ~ Bronze Star Medal. o ~ ~ misce~Taneous: -~ 0 Previous Examiner for American Board of Surgery. C.1
Page 4: oqy32e00
(JULKAISULUETTELO) BIBLIOGRAPHY JACR DSATTHEWS FARRIS, M.D. 1. The Relation of Cartilage to.the Repair of Bone, S. G. & 0. 66:173 (February) 1938. (with J.D. Bisgard) 2. Tuberculoma of the Lung; Case Report, J. Thorac. 6urg. 9:108 (October) 1939. (with C. Haight) 3. The Role of Vitamin K in the Treatment of Obstructive Jaundice, Univ. Hosp. Bull. University of Michigan 6:33 (May) 1940. 4. The Surgery of Modern Warfare, S. G. & 0.. 72 115 (January) 1941. (with F.A. Collar) 5. The Management of the Jaundiced Patient; with Special Reference to Vitamin K, S. G. & 0. 73:21 (July) 1941. (with F.A. Collar) 6. Progress in Surqery, in Encyclopedia Americana, New York, American Corp., 1942. 7. Tissue Reactions to Suture Materials; A Preliminary Report, Ann. Surg. 114:159 (July) 1941. 6. Tissue Reactions to Suture Materiai as Observed in the Anterior Chamber of the Rabbit's Eye; A Preliminary Report, Univ. Hosp. Bu11. Univ. of Michigan 7:61 (August) 1941. 9. The Use of Cotton as a Suture Material, with Particular Reference to its Clinical Application, J.A.M.A. 117:2140 (December 20) 1941. (William H. Meade and Carroll H. Longr Discussion by J.M. Farris) 10. Wounds of Warfare, J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 28;441 (January) 1943. (with F.A. Coller) 11. Total Gastrectomy; Effects upon Nutrition and Hematopoiesis, Surgery 13023 (June) 1943. (with H.x. Ransom) 12. Surgical Treatment of Long-Standing Deep Phlebitis of the Leg; A Preliminary Report, Surgery 15:749 (with R. Buxton, C.A. Moyer, and P.A. Coller)(May) 1944. 13. The Effect of Streptotnycin in "Closed-Loop" Append.icitis; An Experimental Study, Univ. Hosp. Bull., Univ. of Michigan 12:90 (October) 1946. (with H. Romack)
Page 5: oqy32e00
2. Bibliography JacY_ Matthowr FarriQ, M.D_ 1 1d _ sareo Obodre.ationa on Wousad Sloaling) A Cliftioal i'tudj , with a Z1oto n +ropioal Chcsnothcxapy arnd Socondary C3.osttr®, S. Ci. Sr 0. B4:203 (February) 1947. (with T.B. Jones) 15. The Effect of Streptomycin on Experimentally Induced Appendicitis, Surgery 22:304 (August) 1947. (With fi. Romack) 1G. Tranavoroo vQrsuB Vartioal Abdominal Inoioion, 1'roc. Pan-Pacific 5urg. Assn. 4th Congress, 1947, Honolulu, p. 7. 17. The Hernia Problem, with Reference to a Modification of the McVay Technique, Surgery 24:293 (August) 1948. (with J. Ettinger and J.A. Weinberg) 18. A Method for Removal of an Open Swallowed Safety Pin from the Stomach, Bull. Moore-White Med. Foundation 1:14 (September) 1949. 19. Surgical Aspects of Abnormal Twinning, Bull. Moore-White Med. Foundation 1:3 (March) 1950. (with R.C. Bishop) 20. Surgical Aspects of Abnormal Twinning, Surgery 29:443 (August) 1950. (with R.C. Bishop) 21. Convervatiem in the Surgical Treatment of Benign Gastric Ulcer, Surgery 30:256 (July) 1951. (with F.B. Wilkins and J.A. Weinberg) 22. Conservatism in the Surgical Treatment of Benign Gastric Ulser, Bull. Moore-White Med. Foundation 2:35 (September) 1951. (with P.B. Wilkins and J.A. Weinberg) 23. The Surgical Treafment of Malignant Melanoma, Bull. Moore-White Med. Foundation 3:27 (September) 1952. 24. Surgery of inguinal Hernia, Modern Medicine, p, 171, (September 15) 1952. 25. The Origin and Treatment of Malignant Melanoma, California Med. 76:110 (February) 1953. 26. Peripheral Arterial Embolism, Bull. Moore-White Med. Foundation 4:30 (March) 1953. (with H. Drake) 27. Gastric Cancer, with a Coneideration of Total Gastrectomy, Bull. Moore-White Med. Foundation 4:44 (September) 1953.
Page 6: oqy32e00
3. Bibliography Jack Matthews Parris, M.D. 28. Pulmonary Embolism, Western J. Surgery, Obst. & Gun. s1:524 (.-jeptemDer) tyos. Zy. cancer or tne Yaratnyroid Gtands; 4 Cases among 148 Patients with Hyperparathyroidism; Discussion of Paper by Cope, 0., Nordi, G., and Castleman, B., Ann. Surgery 1383661 (October) 1953. Discussion pp. 670-671. 30. A Usefu2 New Tissue Forceps, Bull, of Instruments of Particular Interest to the Surgeon 2:5 1954, V. Mueller & Co. 31. Gastric Cancer, with a Consideration of Total Gastrectomy, Am. J. Gastroenterology 22:203 (September) 1954. 32. Thrombosis and Embolism, Surg. Clin. North.America 34:127I (October) 1954. 33. Evaluation of Vagotomy with Gastroenterostomy Performed for Chronic Duodenal Ulcer (Discussion of Stanley 0. Hoerr's paper), Surgery 38:149 (July) 1955. 34. Isolated Lipodystrophy, A Forut of Mesenteric Tumor (Discussion of paper by J.T. Craner M.J. Aguilar, and Orville F. Grimes) Am. J. Surg. 90:169 (August) 1955. 35. An Evaluation of Temporary Gastrostomy, Ann. Surgery 144:3 (September) 1956. (with G.X. Smith) 36. Vagotomy, Clinical Results, California Medicine 85:394-398 (December) 1956. (with G.K. Smith) 37. Malignant Melanoma - Rationale of Treatment, Current Surgical Management, W.B. Saunders Co., 1957, pp. 447-451. (with G.K. Smith) 38. The Rationale of Vagotomy and Pyloroplaety in the Management of Bleeding Duodenal Ulcer, J.A.M.A. 166:8 (February 22) 1958. (with G.K. Smith) 39. Vagotomy and Pyloroplasty in Chronic Duodenal Ulcer with Special Reference to Technique, A.M.A. Arch. Surg. 78:652 (May) 1959. (with G.B. Smith) 40. Current Surgical Concepta of Gallbladder Disease, The Medical Clinics of North America, W.B. Saunders Co. 43:4 (July) 1959. (with G.K. Smith)
Page 7: oqy32e00
4. Bibliography Jack Matthews Farris, M.D. 41. Umbilical Hernia: An Inquiry into the Principle of Zmbrication and a Note on the Preservation of the Umbilical Dimple, Am. J. Surg. 98:2 (August) 1959. (with G.K. Smith and A.S. Beattie) 42. Hepatophypercholesterolemic Cirrhosis -- Report of a Case lmplicating Chlorpromazine as the 8tiologic Agent, California Medicine 91c154-155 (September) 1959. (with A.S. Beattie and G.R. Frempter) 43. The Pathologic Effects of Metallic Foreign Bodies in the Pulmonary Circulation, Jr. Thor. and Cardiovas. Surg., Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 670-684 (November) 1959. (with L. Brewer et al.) 44. Vagotomy and Pyloroplasty: A Solution to the Management of Bleeding Duodenal Ulcer, Ann. Surg., Vol. 152, No. 3 (September) 1960. (with G.K. Smith) 45. Panel Discussion on Pancreatic Disease, Am. Jr. of Gastroenterology, Vol. 34, No. 4 (October) 1960. 46. Hypothermia in Acute Surgical Emergencies, W. Jr. Surg., Obs. & Gyn., 69:67-72 (March-April) 1961. (with D. Comar) 47. Re-evaluation of Temporary Gastrostomy as a Substitute for Nasogastric Suction, Am. J. Surg., Vol. 102 (August) 1961. (with G.K. Smith) 48. Role of Pyloroplasty in the Surgical Treatment of Gastric Ulcer, Ann. Surg. Sup., Vol. 154, No. 6 (December) 1961.. (with G.K. Smith) 49. Vagotomy and Pyloroplasty for Bleeding Duodenal Ulcer - A Note on Selective Vagotomy, A@. Jr. Surg., Vol. 105 (March) 1963. (with G.K. Smith) 50. Some Observations upon Selective Gastric Vagotomy, Arch. Sur4., Vol. 86 (May) 1963. (with G.K. Smith) 51. The Treatment of Gastric Ulcer (in situ) by Vagotomy and Pyloroplasty: A Clinical Study, Ann. Surg., Vol. 158, No. 3, (September) 1963. (with G.K. Smith) 52. Umbilical Hernia, Nyhus and Harkins' book, HERNIA, J.B. Lippincott Co., pp. 315-320, 1964.
Page 8: oqy32e00
5. Bibliography Jack Matthews Farris, M.D. 53. Discussion, Jaboulay Pyloroplasty, Atlas of Technics in Surgery, 2nd Edition, 1964:Xadden, J.L., Applaton-Contury- Crofts, Inc. 54. The Treatment of Gastric Ulcer (in situ) by Vagotomy and PyloroplastyE A Clinical Study, Current Surgical Management III, W.B. Saunders Co., pp. 335-342, 1965. (with G.K. Smith) 55. Temporary Gastrostomy, Current Surgical Management III, W.B. Saunders Co., pp. 355-359, 1965. (with G.K. Smith) 56. Some Other Operations for Gastric Ul.cer: A. Kalling- Madl,ener Opsration. B. Wedge Resection and Pyloroplasty. C. Pyloroplasty (with Ulcer in Situ), Surgical Clinics of North America, (April) 1966. (with G.K. Smith) 57. Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis in the Adult: Review of 22 Cases, The Amer. Surgeon, Vol. 32, No. 10, (October) 1966. (with B.W. Hiebert) 58. Appraisal of the Long-Term Results of Vagotorny and Pyloroplasty in 100 Patients with Bleeding Duodenal Ulcer, Ann. Surg., Vol. 166, No. 4, (October) 1967. (with G.R. Smith) 59. CZinical Experiences with Corrective Surgery for the Dumping Syndrome, Am. J. Surg., Vol. 116:229, (August) 1969. (with C.B. Nagel) 60. Comrnent, Chapter 9 entitled Gastric Ulcer, Nyhus and Harkins Second Edition of Surgery of, the Stomach and Duodenum, published by Little, Srown and Company and J. & A. Churchill, Ltd. in Great Britain, 1968. ' 61. Reappraisal of the Long-Term Effects of Selective.Vagatomy, ; Am. J. Surg., Vol. 117, No. 2, pp. 222-227, (February) 1969. 62. Selective Gastric Vagotomy with Antrsctomy of Pyloroplasty, Ann. Surg., Vol. 174, No. 4, (October) 1971. (J.L. Sawyers and H.W. Scott, Jr.: DiscuSsion by J.M. Parris) N tA ~ 0 63. Lessons Learned from the Use of Vagotomy in the Treatment of ~ 0 Peptic Ulcer Am. J. Surg. 124t121 2(Auguat) v Vol No , , , . . 0 1972. (C.P. Schlicke and A. Logan, Jx.: Discussion by J.M. .A Farris) ~
Page 9: oqy32e00
r 6. Bibliography Jack Matthews Farris, M.D. 64. Procedures of Value for the Prevention and Cure of Dumping after Vagotomy and Pyloroplasty, Am. J. Surg., Vol. 124:279, No. 2, (August) 1972. (J.P. Regan, X.J. Schmutzer and E.A. Stemmer: biscussion by J.M. Farris) 65. Truncal Vagotomy with Drainage for the Elective Treatment of Duodenal Ulcer Disease. Chapter in Controversy in Surgery, g. Varco, Ed., W.B. Saunders & Co., p. 109, 1976. (with A.G. Greenburg) 66. The Practicality of the Congo Red Test or Is Your vagotomy Complete? Am. J. Surg. 132:139, 1976. (with R.P. Saik, A.G. Greenbury, G.W. Peskin) 67. Conmentary of the Jaboulay Drainage Procedure. Invited Special Commentary, In Surgery of the Stomach and Duodenum, 3rd Sdition, L.M. Nyhus, Ed., Little Brown, Boston, p. 743-745, 1977. (with A.G. Greenburg) 68. Adequacy of Vagotomy Tested with Congo Red. Chirurgia Gastroenterologicia, 12:1-6, 1978. (with R.P. Saik) 69. A Century of Surgery - 1880-1980. Ravitch, Mark M. Lippincott: Philadelphia 1981. Abstracts of the followirig: Discussion of Herrington on Vagotomy Antrectomy, 1098; Vagotomy and Pyloroplasty for Bleeding Ulcer, 1115-18; Discussion of Dennis and of Thal on Gastroduodena7, Hemorrage, 1209; Bleeding Duodenal Ulcer, 1250-51; Discussion of Selective Vagotomy, 1337; Discusaion of Noerr on Operations for Duodenal Ulcer, 1361.