Plaintiff Pensioner Pentti Kalevi Aho, Tampere, Represented As Before by Professor Erkki Aurejarvi and Attorney Juha Sivenius Defendants Suomen Tupakka Oy, Helsinki Represented As Before by Attorney Robert Liljestrim Oy Rettig Ab, Espoo, Represented As Before by Attorney Mikko Tulokas S 88/1623 Claim of Damage
Date: 21 Mar 1991
Length: 4 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 4 pages
Jump To Images
- Nuotto, A.
- LEGAL DEPT/EEMA ARCHIVE
- TRAN, TRANSCRIPT
- Named Person
- Aho, P.K.
- Aurejarvi, E.
- Kulo, M.H.
- Liljestrom, R.
- Luukkanen, O.
- Mantere, J.
- Sivenius, J.
- Sohlman, Kov
- Tulokas, M.
- Named Organization
- City Court Helsinki
- Oy Rettig Ab
- Suomen Tupakka Oy
- Master ID
- 2501070294-0338 Tobacco in Health Education
- 2501070339-0391 Suomen Tupakka's Brief No. 11 the Tobacco and Health Controversy and Education
- 2501070392-0396 Affidavit of Bea J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070397-0400 Biographical Data: Barbara J. Van Den Berg
- 2501070401-0403 Affidavit of Rodger L. Bick
- 2501070404-0447 Curriculum Vitae Roger L Bick, Md, Facp
- 2501070448-0450 Affidavit of Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
- 2501070451-0459 Curriculum Vitae Jack Matthews Farris, M.D.
- 2501070460-0461 Affidavit of Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
- 2501070462-0471 Curriculum Vitae Mariano F. La Via, M.D.
- 2501070472-0474 Affidavit of Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070475-0495 Curriculum Vitae Raymond Harrison Rigdon, M.D.
- 2501070496-0497 Affidavit of Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070498-0508 Curriculum Vitae Henry Rothschild, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2501070509-0510 Affidavit of John Edmond Salvaggio, M.D.D.
- 2501070511-0527 Curriculum Vitae John Edmond Salvaggio
- 2501070528-0529 Affidavit of Gerhard N. Schrauzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070530-0535 Affidavit of Carl Seltzer, Ph.D.
- 2501070536-0545 Curriculum Vitae Carl Coleman Seltzer
- 2501070546-0549 Affidavit of Theodor D. Sterling, Ph.D.
- 2501070550-0574 Curriculum Vitae Theodor D. Sterling
- 2501070575-0669 Plaintiff's Brief in the Case of Pentti Kalevi Aho Vs. Suomen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab the Twelfth Hearing of the Case 910321
- 2501070670 Aho / Suomen Tupakka and Rettig, Testimonies
- 2501070672 Pentti Aho / Suomen Tupakka Oy Ja Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070674 Aho V. Suemen Tupakka Oy and Oy Rettig Ab
- 2501070675-0676 Exhibit 15 471 Aurejarvi Statement
- 2501070677 Exhibit 16 471 Tulokas Statement
- 2501070678-0682 Exhibit 16 823 Witness Jorma Johannes Gustafsson
- 2501070683-0690 Exhibit 17 471 Witness Keijo Olavi Valdemar Solman
- 2501070691-0695 Exhibit 18 471 Witness Mauri Hannu Kulo
- 2501070696-0700 Exhibit 19 471 Witness Olli Luukkanen
Page 1: gqy32e00
~ 12 Translation from Finnish CITY COURT OF HELSINKI Section A 1 MINUTES Civil Case March 21, 1991 S 88 / 1623 471 1 12th session 11th session March 21, 1991 6 471 1st session June 16, 1988 1 581 Plaintiff Pensioner Pentti Kalevi Aho, Tampere, represent- ed as before by Professor Erkki Aurejarvi and attorney Juha Sivenius Defendants 1 Suomen Tupakka Oy, Helsinki, represented as be- fore by attorney Robert Liljestrom 2 Oy Rettig Ab, Espoo, represented as before by attorney Mikko Tulokas Case Claim of Damages The memorandum Tobacco in Health Education by Jyrki Mantere sub- mitted by Tulokas in advance to the Court: Exhibit 1. The exhibits to the memorandum were added to file. The brief submit- ted by Liljestrom in advance to the Court: Exhibit 2. P
Page 2: gqy32e00
2 In addition, Liljestrom had submitted in advance to the Court ten statements in English with translations into Finnish, of which the translations were attached to the minutes and the English added to file : Exhibits 3-12. Aurejarvi's brief : Exhibit 13. Liljestrom submitted to the Court a memorandum with exhibits : Exhibit 14. Sivenius reiterated what had been presented earlier in the case and called to testify Keijo Olavi Valdemar Sohlman, metal latheman from Tampere, born Sept. 26, 1925 and registered in the Tampere Popula- tion Register. Tulokas reiterated what had been presented earlier in the case and stated that the purpose of the material submitted to the Court was primarily (to show) that the health properties of tobacco had been subject to discussions all through this century and that nobody can claim that the properties of tobacco as a pleasure substance would have been unknown. Aurejarvi stated: Exhibit 15. Tulokas stated: Exhibit 16. Witness Keijo Olavi Valmdemar Sohlman appeared before when called and having duly given the oath he testified:
Page 3: gqy32e00
3 Exhibit 17. The witness left having requested FIM 500 in witness remuneration to which Sivenius accepted. Tulokas remarked that the defendants had not claimed that Aho would have been a bad worker. Tulokas did not recognize any other of the claims made during the testimony. Liljestrom called to testify Mauri Hannu Kulo, general manager from Ylajarvi, born on October 6, 1947 and registered in the Ylojarvi par- ish. Witness Kulo appeared before the Court when called and having duly given witness declaration he testified: Exhibit 18. The witness left without requesting any witness remuneration. Liljestrom called to testify Olli Luukkanen, pensioner from Tampere, born on Sept. 12, 1933 and registered in the Pyynikki parish. Witness Luukkanen appeared before the Court when called and having duly given the oath he testified: Exhibit 19. The witness left having requested FIM 650 in witness remuneration which Liljestrom accepted. Liljestrom requested adjournment of the case for the purpose of pre- sent additional evidence and testimonies. Sivenius concurred with the request for adjournment, but expressed rJ cn 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 N ~ N
Page 4: gqy32e00
4 the wish that the number of sessions would be restricted. When asked Sivenius stated that the intention was to call, resumably Professor Ojala, to testify on specific causation. The City Court made the following INTERIM DECISION The case is adjourned to the session of the City Court on Thursday, May 23, 1991 to be heard at 9o oo hours or thereafter, at which time the parties shall appear before the Court the plaintiff at the risk that in the absence of the plaintiff the case may be dismissed or judgement be rendered in response to the de- mands of the defendant, and the defendants at the risk that judgement may be rendered in spite of the absence of the defendants. The parties are permitted to use representatives. Pentti Kalevi Aho is ordered to pay his witness Keijo Olavi Valdemar Sohlman FIM 500 as witness remuneration, Suomen Tupakka Oy is or- dered to pay their witness Olli Luukkanen FIM 650 as witness remu- neration. Declared and appeal guidance given concerning the witness expenses. N cn 0 ~ 0 Antero Nuotto (signed) o City Court Judge 'a w