Effect of Chronic Exposure to Cigarette Smoke on Tumor Incidence in the Syrian Golden Hamster
Length: 1 page
Jump To Images
Length: 1 page
Jump To Images
- Busch, R.H.
- Olson, R.J.
- Wehner, A.P.
- SCRT, REPORT, SCIENTIFIC
- EXTR, EXTRA
- Named Organization
- Battelle Seattle Research Center
- Experimental Lung Cancer Carcinogenesis
- Intl Symposium
- Springer Verlag
- Master ID
- 2063594012-4016 Biennial Report 960000 / 970000
- 2063594018 Europe's Largest Ever Passive Smoking Study Has Failed to Establish A Meaningful Risk of Lung Cancer to Non-Smokers.
- 2063594019-4023 New Research From International Agency for Research on Cancer
- 2063594024 Smoking in Public Places - Not A Major Irritant
- 2063594025-4027 New Opinion Research on the Public's Views of Irritating Behaviour
- 2063594028-4029 Major Environmental Tobacco Smoke Study Finds No Risk
- 2063594030-4031 Major New Study Shows Smoking Bans Unnecessary
- 2063594033-4035 World Health Organization's Cancer Chief Says That Uk Media Reports on Passive Smoking Data Are Inaccurate
- 2063594036-4037 Passive Smoking Does Cause Lung Cancer, Do Not Let Them Fool You
- 2063594038 Passive Smoking and Lung Cancer in Europe
- 2063594041-4042 Passive Smoking Doesn't Cause Cancer - Official
- 2063594043 A Setback for Nanny
- 2063594045-4046 'foul Play' by Tobacco Firm Passive Smoking Claims Rejected
- 2063594047 No Link Between Passive Smoking and Lung Cancer
- 2063594048 Cancer Caution
- 2063594049 Fury Over Cig Claim
- 2063594050 Others' Cigs 'not Danger'
- 2063594051 Passive Smoke Row
- 2063594052 Bat Claims New Survey Reveals Minimal Risk
- 2063594053 Children Face Worst Risk From Passive Smoking
- 2063594054-4055 Passive Smoking
- 2063594056-4059 Who Report on Passive Smoking
- 2063594060-4067 Passive Smoking
- 2063594068 Un - Passive Smoking
- 2063594069 Rtrs - Row Breaks Out Over Report on Passive Smoking
- 2063594070 Second-Hand Smoke 'may Protect You'
- 2063594071 Smoke Cancer Link in Doubt
- 2063594072 Tobacco Wars Passive Smoking Safe: Study
- 2063594073 Passive Smoking Safe: Health Body
- 2063594074 Wa Laws May Need Rethink
- 2063594075 Passief Roken Heeft Mogelijk Postifief Effect
- 2063594077 Who Denies Quashing Passive - Smoking Study
- 2063594078 British Newspaper Says Who Withheld Smoking Study Report
- 2063594079 Un Health Agency Industry Passive Smoking Row
- 2063594080-4081 Uk: Experts Reject 'passive Smoking Safe' Claim
- 2063594082 Estudo Questiona Risco Do Fumo Passivo
- 2063594083-4084 Study Doubts of the Risk of Passive Smoking
- 2063594086 Smoking Out Bad Science
- 2063594087 Debate Gets Heated Over Interpretation of European Results
- 2063594088 Saude: Risco De Fumante Passivo E Insignificante, Diz Pesquisa.
- 2063594089-4090 Health - Second Hand Smoking Risk Is Insignificant, Say Research
- 2063594092 Rtf 03/12 0601 Interview - Gallaher Plays Down Down Passive Smoking Risk
- 2063594093 Passive Smoking Riposte to Tobacco Companies
- 2063594095 Smoking Out the Good Guys
- 2063594096 These Jokers Must Kill Me
- 2063594098-4099 Smokescreens
- 2063594100 Cancer Link Refuted Tobacco-Firm Scientist: Who Study Showed No Correlation
- 2063594106 Who Needs Who?
- 2063594107 How Bogus Science Holds US in Its Thrall
- 2063594109 Ban Anti-Tobacco Activists
- 2063594113-4125 NCI Smoking and Health Program
- 2063594126 Carcinogenicity of Inhaled Cigarette Smoke in the Nmu - Pretreated Hamster Larynx
- 2063594127 Effects of Chronic Tobacco Smoke Exposure From High-Tar or Low-Tar Cigarettes on the Systemic Clearance Mechanisms of Mice
- 2063594128 Effects of Chronic Tobacco Smoke Exposure on Immune Responses in Aged Mice
- 2063594129 A Survey of Pathological Changes Associated with Long-Term High Tar Tobacco Smoke Exposure in A Murine Model
- 2063594130 Tobacco Smoke Inhalation Studies in Rats
- 2063594131 the Effect of Cigarette Smoke Exposure in Europe in European Hamsters
- 2063594132 Pathological Alterations in Syrian Golden Hamsters Lungs After Passive Exposure to Cigarette Smoke
- 2063594133 Mucus Hypersecretion and Viscoelasticity Changes in Cigarette Smoking Dogs
- 2063594134 A Study of Tobacco Carcinogenesis. Xii. Epithelial Changes Induced in the Upper Respiratory Tracts of Syrian Golden Hamsters by Cigarette Smoke.
- 2063594135 Simultaneous Exposure of Chinese Hamsters to Ethanol and Cigarette Smoke, Cytogenetic Aspects
- 2063594136 Action of Intensive Cigarette Smoke Inhalations on Rat Lung. Role of Particulate and Gaseous Cofactors
- 2063594137 Differential Response of Snell's and C57 Black Mice to Chronic Inhalation of Cigarette Smoke
- 2063594138 Establishing Aerosol Exposure Concentrations for Inhalation Toxicity Studies.
- 2063594139 Dosimetry and Cardiopulmonary Function in Rats Chronically Exposed to Cigarette Smoke.
- 2063594140 the Effect of Long-Term Exposure to Cigarette Smoke on the Height and Specificity of the Secondary Immune Response to Influenza Virus in A Murine Model System.
- 2063594141 Chronic Cigarette Smoke Inhalation and Aging in Mice: 1. Morphologic and Functional Lung Abnormalities
- 2063594142 Murine Lung Response to Kaolin Conveyed by Cigarette Smoke
- 2063594143 Diesel Exhaust Is A Pulmonary Carcinogen in Rats Exposed Chronically by Inhalation
- 2063594144 Influence of Vitamin A on the Laryngeal Response of Hamsters Exposed to Cigarette Smoke
- 2063594145 Etude Des Effects De La Fumee De Cigarettes Par Inhalation Chezle Rat
- 2063594146 Effects of Chronic Daily Exposure to Tobacco Smoke on the High Leukemic Akr Strain of Mice
- 2063594147 Chronic Cigarette Sidestream Smoke Exposure Increases Rat Trachea Ornithine Decarboxylase Activity
- 2063594148 An Animal Model of Cigarette Smoking in Beagle Dogs - Correlative Evaluation of Effects on Pulmonary Function, Defense, and Morphology
- 2063594149 Experimental Respiratory Carcinogenesis in Small Laboratory Animals
- 2063594150 the Regional Deposition of Tar From Cigarette Smoke in the Rodent Respiratory Tract
- 2063594151 Chronic Effects of Long Term Cigarette Smoke Inhalation Upon the Development of Oxygen Debt Capacity in Albino Mice.
- 2063594152 Failure of Chronic Cigarette Smoke Exposure to Alter Plasma Lipoproteins of Stumptailed Macaques (Macaca Arctoides)
- 2063594153 Experimental Pulmonary Carcinogenesis
- 2063594154 Effect of Cigarette Smoke on the Bronchial Epithelium of Syrian Hamsters: Ultrastructural Studies.
- 2063594155 Bronchial Reactivity to Inhaled Methacholine in Cigarette Smoking Baboons
- 2063594156 Cigarette Smoking, Dietary Hyperlipidemia, and Experimental Atherosclerosis in the Baboon.
- 2063594157 Cigarette Smoking by Baboons: in Vivo Assessment of Particulate Inhalation Using Bronchoalveolar Lavage to Recover (C)Dotriacontane.
- 2063594158 Chronic Inhalation of Marijuana and Tobacco in Dogs: Pulmonary Pathology
- 2063594159 Thyroid Hormone Levels and Cigarette Smoking in Baboons
- 2063594160 Immune Responsiveness of Monkeys Exposed Chronically to Cigarette Smoke.
- 2063594161 Preliminary Studies of the Interaction Between Puo2 and Cigarette Smoke in the Mouse Lung
- 2063594162 Cellular Immunity in Mice Chronically Exposed to Fresh Cigarette
- 2063594163 Development of Alterations in the Primary Immune Response of Mice by Exposure to Fresh Cigarette Smoke
- 2063594164 the Growth of Transplanted Tumours in Mice After Chronic Inhalation of Fresh Cigarette Smoke.
- 2063594165 the Effects of Cigarette Smoke Inhalation Upon Mice During Pregnancy
- 2063594166 Chronic Inhalation of Nickel Oxide and Cigarette Smoke by Hamsters.
- 2063594167 Chronic Inhalation of Asbestos and Cigarette Smoke by Hamsters.
- 2063594169 Effects of Diethylnitrosamine and Cigarette Smoke on Hamsters
- 2063594170 Inhalation Bioassay of Cigarette Smoke in Rats
- 2063594171 Increased Life Span and Decreased Weight in Hamsters Exposed to Cigarette Smoke
- 2063594172 Relevance of Gas and Particulate Phases of Tobacco Smoke for Lung Cancer Formation: An Experimental Study in Syrian Golden Hamsters
- 2063594173 Clinical and Pathological Effects of Cigarette Smoke Exposure in Beagle Dogs
- 2063594185-4239 Cardiovascular Effects of Long-Term Cigarette Smoking and Nicotine Administration
- 2063594222-4239 Cardiovascular Effects of Long-Term Cigarette Smoking and Nicotine Administration
Page 1: 2063594168
! I I I I I I I I I i I I I I I I I # 105 AUTHOR: WEHNER, ALFRED P., ROBERT H. BUSCH, AND RICHARD J. OLSON DATE: 1974 TITLE: EFFECT OF CHRONIC EXPOSURE TO CIGARETTE SMOKE ON TUMOR INCIDENCE IN THE SYRIAN GOLDEN HAMSTER CITATION: in EXPERIMENTAL LUNG CANCER . CARCINO_GENSIS AND BIOASSAYS, International Symposium held at Battelle Seattle Research Center, June 23-26, 1974, ED: Eberhard Karbe and James F. Park, Springer-Verlag, New York STUDY DESIGN: The results reported in this paper are part of a much larger research program. In this paper, the effect of life-span exposure to cigarette smoke on tumor incidence in the Syrian golden hamster was described. A group of 51 male Syrian golden hamsters received lifespan exposures to cigarette smoke in Hamburg II smoking machines for 10 minutes 3 times per day, 5 days per week. An additional group of 51 served as controls and received sham exposure only. At death, lungs, trachea,larynx, liver, kidneys, and tissues showing gross lesions were histopathologically examined. RNDINGSIRESULTS: The smoke-exposed hamsters had a significantly higher incidence of the following lesions than the controls= Total number of tumors Malignant tumors Epithelial lesions of the larynx = 28% vs 6% (p<0.05) = 18% vs 2% (p<O.05) = 22% vs 0% (p<O.01) The increased tumor incidence in the smoke-exposed hamsters is not necessarily a direct effect of the exposures to cigarette smoke, but might be explained by the significantly longer mean lifespan of 19.6 months of the smoke exposed group compared to 15.3 months for the controls. CONCLUSIONS/COMMENTS: The most surprising result of these experiments was the fact that the smoke-exposed animals outlived the controls by a significant margin. Factors contributing to this phenomenon might be the significantly lower mean body weight of the smoke exposed group as compared to the controls and a significantly delayed onset of amyloidosis in the smoke-exposed group.