Cigarette Making Technology 810701 - 810731
Date: 07 Aug 1981
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
- Robinson, A.
- REPT, REPORT, OTHER
- BIBL, BIBLIOGRAPHY
- CENTRAL FILES/DATABASE
- Named Organization
- Named Person
- Armstrong, R.G.
- Ellis, R.
- Hoelzel, C.B.
- Majewski, T.E.
- Robinson, A.
- Master ID
- 2022151336-1407 Monthly Progress Reports Period Covered 810701 - 810731
- 2022151339-1340 Analytical Research
- 2022151341 Mechanism for Smoke Formation 810701 - 810731
- 2022151342-1343 Cigarette and Tobacco Measurement Methods 810700
- 2022151344-1345 Improved Semiworks Operations 810700
- 2022151346-1347 Entomological Research 810701 - 810731
- 2022151348-1350 Reconstituted Tobacco Development 810709 - 810806
- 2022151351-1352 Modified Smoking Materials 810701 - 810731
- 2022151353-1355 Smoker Psychology 810701 - 810731
- 2022151356 Filtration Physics 810701 - 810731
- 2022151359-1360 Tobacco Physics 810701 - 810731
- 2022151361-1362 Physical and Chemical Properties of Tobacco 870701 - 870731
- 2022151363-1364 Tobacco Microstructure 810701 - 810731
- 2022151365-1367 Tobacco Processing 810701 - 810731
- 2022151368-1369 Expanded Tobacco - Process Improvement 810701 - 810731
- 2022151370-1371 Biochemical Modification of Tobacco 810701 - 810731
- 2022151372-1373 Microbial Technology 810701 - 810731
- 2022151374-1375 New Products 810700
- 2022151376 Filter Development 810700
- 2022151377 Applied Technology 810701 - 810731
- 2022151378 Flavor Development 810701 - 810731
- 2022151379-1380 Flavor Development 810701 - 810731
- 2022151381 Flavor Component Evaluation 810701 - 810731
- 2022151382-1383 Synthesis of Tobacco Additives 810701 - 810731
- 2022151384-1386 Nuclear and Radiochemistry of Smoke 810701 - 810731
- 2022151387-1388 Botanical Investigations 810701 - 810731
- 2022151389-1390 Flavor - Release Chemistry 810701 - 810731
- 2022151391-1393 Synthesis of Flavorants 810700
- 2022151394-1395 Chemistry and Isolation of Tobacco Constituents 810701 - 810731
- 2022151396-1397 Smoke Studies 810700
- 2022151398-1399 Brand Modifications 810700
- 2022151400-1402 Biological Effects of Smoke 810701 - 810731
- 2022151403-1406 Smoke Condensate Studies 810701 - 810731
Page 1: ico71f00
PROJECT CHARGE: 1703 PROJECT TITLE: Cigarette Making Technology PROJECT LEADER: A. Robinson PERIOD COVERED: July 1 - 31, 1981 DATE OF REPORT: August 7, 1981 I r. El ADHESIVE PROPERTIES (C. B. Hoelzel, T. E. Majewski, and A. Robinson) During this reporting period members of Project 1703 investigated the causes of the production problems which occurred in the Manufacturing Center during the week of June29. The problems were caused by two different Ajax 563-8 tipping-adhesives, which were reported to contain two different plasticizers, exhibiting poor machining characteristics. The principle problem was the continuous buildup.of the adhesives in the roller-nip on the PA8 machines. The G. C. headspace analysis test method(1)was used to identify the plasticizer Benzoflex 9-88 in one of the Ajax products(2). The Ajax 563-8 product which contained the Benzoflex 9-88 plasticizer was examined rheologically on the Eaake-Rotovisco. It was observed that the product containing Benzoflex 9-88, in comparison to another Ajax 563-8 product, showed less shear-stability, by a significant factor(3). The two differently plasticized products and an Aj ax product (lot date: 1/81) were examined by thermal analysis (Perkin-Elmer DSC II) and for Mechanical Stability(4). It was found that by changing the amount and/or kind of plasticizer, the adhesives thermo-mechanical properties were altered significantly. The results from this study will be published. The volatile components in. an Ajax 563-6 tipping adhesive product were identified by G. C./M: S. It was found that this product contains more than fifteen different compounds in its headspace. The specific compounds will be reported at a later date. ADHESIVE SURFACE BEHAVIOR STUDIES (R. G. Armstrong) Work has continued on the study of how adhesives wet and spread on various printed paper substrates. The contact angle goniometer was used to examine the contact surfaces of several types of cigarette cartons which had
Page 2: ico71f00
- 2 - not sealed properly in the stick-no stick operation. It was found that the contact angle of water on the base carton stock was high enough to suggest d (5) eliberate water repellant.treatment by the supplier Surface tension measurements were initiated in this study during this period. A Cahn electrobalance was set-up to measure surface tension and a Fisher automatic surface tensiometer was obtained on a demonstration basis. Both instrumental set-ups work well for surface tension measurements, though the Cahn is more appropriate for specific research experiments, while the Fisher tensiometer is near ideal for repetitive routine measurements. RHF.OLOGY (C. B. Hoelzel). A series of samples of homogenized STP was received for study. These materials were prepared by.R..Ellis and were made up to encompass a range of STP contents. Yield stress was.found to increase rapidly with increasing STP content, viscosity also increases with increasing STP content, but not as rapidly. A memo has been written covering this study(6). NEW ADHESIVES SCREENING TESTS (C. B. Hoelzel) A moisture resistance test for tipping adhesives has been outlined and some preliminary tests are under way(7). The parameters of interest are time, temperature, relative humidity, and sample preparation (size of lap seam, amount of adhesive applied, and tensile stress). AR/mmn References: 1. T. E. Majewski, "New Adhesive Screening Tests" memo to A. Robinson, 7/14/81. 2. T. B. Majewski, "G. C. Analysis of Adhesive Plasticizers" memo to A. Robinson, 7/27/81. 3. C. B. Hoelzel, "Plasticizer Change in Ajax 563-8" memo to A. Robinson, 7/10/81. 4. A. Robinson, "'New Adhesive Screening Test" memo to W. A. Spiecher, 4/25/81. 5. R. G. Armstrong, "Cigarette Cartons" memo to.T. V. Van Auken, 7/15/81. 6. C. B. Hoelzel, "Yield Stress Measurement on Homogenized STP" memo to R. Ellis, 8/3/81. 7. C. B. Hoelzel, "Moisture Resistence Test for Tipping Adhesives" memo to A. Robinson, 7/23/81.