The Tobacco Institute Contact Directory
Date: Jul 1994
Length: 39 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 39 pages
Jump To Images
- Named Person
- Abrams, Kenneth (Loews, Personnel VP, 1984)
- Alley, William J. (ATC Board of Dir. 1979-1983, Chairman & CEO 1994)Defense
- American Brands, Inc.Defense
- Anderson, David J. (RJR CFO & VP of Finance & Administration (1994))Defense
- Anderson, Eugene E.
- Baker, Debra A. (US Smokeless Tobacco, Legal Assistant)
- Bible, Geoffrey C. (PM President & CEO (1994-2002))After a long career with Philip Morris, the Australian-born Bible served as the company's CEO from 1994 until he reached the company's mandatory retirement age in 2002.
- Boland, James E (PM Lobbyist, Washington Relations Dir., Corp. Affairs)Director of Washington Relations, Corporate Affairs, PM USA
- Bring, Murray H. (PM Attorney, Sr. VP & Counsel, Board of Directors)Senior Vice President and General Counsel of PM, 1994; former partner of Arnold & Porter in Washington, D.C. Defended PM in the Cipollone case.
- Burgh, David W. (TI Board of Directors, Gen. Cigar Co. President)
- Burson, Harold
- Carr, Dan
- Chapin, James W. (UST Attorney & VP, Smokeless Tobacco Counsel President)James W. Chapin was a Vice President and General Counsel for U.S. Tobacco. (PMI's Introduction to Privilege Log and Glossary of Names, Estate of Burl Butler v. PMI, et al, April 19, 1996)
- Cherry, James R., Jr. (PM; LOR, Assoc. General Counsel; General Counsel & VP)J. R. Cherry, Jr. was employed by Lorillard, Inc. and served as Vice President from 1989 to 1993 and then again in 1995; served as Legal Counsel in 1993 and then again in 1995.
- Chumney, Richard D. (ATC Research VP)Former Director of New Project Research
- Court, Cherry Lane
- Dahne, Wolfgang D. (RJR International R&D VP 1991-92)Senior Vice President of Research & Development for RJR Tobacco International Inc. in 1987 and Vice President of Research & Development for RJR Tobacco International Inc. 1991-1992. (Source: R. J. Reynolds Summary - RJR Liability Notebook)
- Darrah, Stephen C. (PM Manufacturing VP 1968 and '92-93)Vice President of Manufacturing for Philip Morris, Inc. in 1986 and then again from 1992 to 1993. He was Senior Vice President of Manufacturing from 1994 to 1995.
- Davis, Edward J. (Assistant Treasurer)Asistant Treasurer
- Donahue, Daniel W. (RJR General Council)Defense
- Ehmann, Carl W., M. D. (Exec. VP of R&D at R.J. Reynolds, c. 1992-95)
- Ewers, Patricia O.
- Fishel, David B. (VP RJR Public Relations)Also on TI Communications Committee
- Fuller, Craig L. (Sr. V.P. Corporate Affairs for PM, 1994)He was Philip Morris' top spokesman in 1994. (WSJ 6-3-94) He was a Philip Morris Vice President. (PMI's Introduction to Privilege Log and Glossary of Names, Estate of Burl Butler v. PMI, et al, April 19, 1996)
- Gesell, Eric J.Group Product Manager
- Gierer, Vincent A., Jr. (UST Chairman & CEO 1998)Defense
- Goldberg, Marc S. (PM Corp. Planning Sr. VP, Pres., PM Latin America)Marc S. Goldberg was a Senior Vice President of Corporate Planning and the President of Philip Morris Latin America. (PMI's Introduction to Privilege Log and Glossary of Names, Estate of Burl Butler v. PMI, et al, April 19, 1996)
- Goldbrenner, Ronald S. (Lor. Assoc. Gen. Counsel, 1986)Lorillard, Associate
- Gordon, Robert R., Jr. (RJR Personnel VP 1985-94; Human Resources Exec VP '95)Defense
- Griscom, Thomas C. (RJR External Relations, Exec. VP c. 1991-95)Thomas C. Griscom served as Executive Vice President of External Relations 1991-1995. Thomas Griscom is an Executive at R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and is knowledgeable regarding creating and marketing a safer cigarette. Thomas C. Griscom served as Executive Vice President of External Relations 1991-1995.
- Hager, John H. (ATC Executive VP)Leaf Services Director
- Han, Victor C.
- Harris, Jeffrey Earl, M.D., Ph.D. (Associate Prof, Harvard Medical School)Harris went through company documents and old medical-journal articles regarding the scope of the tobacco companies' early knowledge about the hazards of smoking. He testified regarding media and scientific state-of-the-art about smoking.
- Hausman, Robert J. (Loews Hotels, President, 1984)Defense
- Hays, Thomas C. (ATC VP of Marketing, c. 1980-'84)Thomas C. Hays was an ATC Vice President of Marketing in 1980, ATC Executive Vice President from 1981-1984 and ATC Board of Directors from 1981-1983. (Source: NM Tobacco Companies Personnel List)
- Hensche, LeAnn (R.J. Reynolds Lobbyist in D.C.)
- Henson, Arnold (ATC General Counsel)Defense
- Hirsch, Barry (Loews General counsel)Defense
- Holt, Barry (PM Media Relations)
- Humphrey, Howard C.
- Johnston, Donald Stewart (ATC President and CEO 1992-94)Johnston was president and chief Executive officer of the American Tobacco Co. in 1994 (Johnston statement 4/14/94). Testified before the Waxman Subcommittee House Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Health and the Environment 4/14/94. He stated "And I, too, believe that nicotine is not addictive."
- Johnstone, John W., Jr.
- Juchatz, Wayne W. (RJR, Senior VP, Secretary and Counsel, 1993)Wayne W. Juchatz served as Director in for RJR Tobacco Co. 1987, 1990-1995, Vice President in 1986, General Counsel & Secretary in 1986, 1988-1995, Senior Vice President & General Counsel for RJR Tobacco Development Company in 1987, Senior Vice President 1988-1994, and Executive Vice President in 1995. (Source: R. J. Reynolds Summary - RJR Liability Notebook). Wayne Juchatz was Assistant Secretary in 1984. (Source: RJR Who's Who NMLRP)
- Kelley, Wendell J.
- Kentoff, David R. (Arnold & Porter)Defense
- Kern, Cleveland C., Jr. (ATC Operations Executive VP)
- Kirby, Alan T.Defense
- Kirschner, Sidney
- Klemann, Gilbert L, II (American Brands Sr VP and General Counsel)1992
- Knox, George L (PMI Corporate Public Affairs VP)1994
- Knox, George, III
- Kohlberger, Richard A. (lawyer)
- Krash, Abe (Arnold & Porter)Defense
- Kriz, Thomas P. (ATC Sr. VP)Senior VP
- Lang, Edward J.Defense
- Langner, Klaus D.Defense
- Laux, Fred J. (PM Personnel Sr. VP 1986, 92-93, Human Resources VP 94-95)Defense
- Leonard, Burleigh C. W. (RJR Vice President of Government Relations)Defense
- Linehan, Kathleen M.
- Ludes, John T. (Acushnet Co. President & CEO)
- Marcotullio, Richard J. (RJR Public Affairs vp)Vice President, Public Affairs, RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company, USA In 1986, Rich Marcotullio was Vice President, Public Affairs for RJR International. Attended the INFOTAB/NMA Workshop, Brussels, 13-16, 1986.
- Markham, Linda (Controller for PM, 1994-95)Linda Markham served as Controller for Philip Morris, Inc. from 1994 to 1995. (Source: Philip Morris Summary - PMI Liability Notebook)
- Marsh, Thomas E. (President, RJR Int'l., East/Central Europe, Turkey, '92)Thomas E. Marsh was President of East/Central Europe, C.I.S., Turkey, Special Markets) for RJR Tobacco International Inc. in 1992. (Source: R. J. Reynolds Summary - RJR Liability Notebook)
- Mass, Harrison
- Mendenhall, Steven C.
- Merlo, Ellen (PM Corp. Affairs VP)Marketing Services prior to 1986. Understood use of nicotine addiction in selling PM products.
- Middleton, Herbert H., Jr.
- Milby, David E. (PM Operations Procurement Services, Sr. VP, c. 2000)Member of Sr. Team
- Morgan, James J. (PM President and CEO (1994-1997))PM VP ('76-83), then Pres, CEO, Director
- Mozingo, Roger L. (TI Lobbyist, Sr. VP, headed up state and local lobbying)Involved in state and local level lobbying for the tobacco industry. Was a Vice President at TI, in the State Activities Division in the 1970's & 1980's, later went to RJR. Roger L. Mozingo was Vice President of State Government Relations for RJR in 1994. (Source: R. J. Reynolds Summary - RJR Liability Notebook)
- Nelson, John R. "Jack" (VP of Corp. Affairs Planning for PM USA '86-87 & '92-93)Senior VP of Planning and Information systems at Philip Morris 1994-95
- Nicoli, David P. (PM Washington Relations Office, c. 1992-94)PM Legislative Council, 1992. PM Washington Relations Office, 1994.
- Orcutt, Richard H. (Sr. VP of Sales at Lorillard 1989-1995)
- Orlowsky, Martin L (LOR CEO (1997-present); RJR Sr. VP of Marketing (1985))M. L. Orlowsky was Senior Vice President of Marketing for RJR in 1985 and Executive Vice President of Marketing & Sales for RJR in 1986. (Source: R. J. Reynolds Summary - RJR Liability Notebook). Martin L. Orlowsky worked for RJR Tobacco Co. as Media Director in 1977, Director of Marketing Services in 1980, Group Director of Marketing Services in 1982, and Vice President of Brand Marketing from 1982 to the present. (Source: RJR Who's Who NMLRP)
- Pearson, J. Thomas
- Posner, Roy E. (CFO Loews Corp.)Defense
- Price, Clinton O.
- Ricciardi, Lawrence
- Roath, Robert S.
- Rossi, Ralph L. (UST, TI Executive Committee)TI Executive Committee
- Rothenberg, Robert D.Defense
- Ruder, William (Ruder & Finn, PR firm used by tobacco industry)Served on TI Communications Committee
- Rukeyser, Robert J. (ATC Public Affairs VP)
- Sandefur, Thomas Edwin, Jr. (BW Chairman/CEO)Thomas Sandefur was Vice President International Marketing for B&W from 1982-1983. Sandefur was CEO-B&W from 1993 to 1996. Mr. Sandefur is deceased. (N.M. Tobacco Companies Personnel List)
- Schindler, Andrew J. (RJR, President and CEO (1994-present))Andrew J. Schindler was President & Chief Operating Officer-USA of RJR. (N.M. Tobacco Companies Personnel List)
- Schoenbachler, Carl Leo, Jr. (BW Sr. VP and CFO (1988-2001))Carl Schoenbachler was Senior Vice President and CFO of B&W in 1989. He was involved with Various Finance Positions in 1972, and Vice President and CFO in 1988. (Source: B&W's Initial Disclosure, State of Texas vs. ATC, et al, 6/5/96)
- Schroer, James C. (RJR Marketing & Sales Exec. VP 1991-94)Defense
- Sherrill, Joseph H., Jr. (RJR International, President of Asia, Pacific)Defense
- Spears, Alexander White, III (LOR President & CEO)Associated with CTR, used as an expert in the Mississippi case.
- Sprinkle, Robert S. (ATC Research & Quality Assurance Exec. VP)Defense
- Steele, Harry G. (PM Finance & Admin. Sr. VP & Board of Dir.)Defense
- Stiles, Lisa
- Storr, Hans G. (PM Chief Financial Officer c. 1992; CTR Treasurer 1981)CTR Treasurer 1/30/81
- Szymanczyk, Michael E. (PM Chairman & CEO (1997-present))
- Taddeo, Joseph (UST President 1990-1995)Defense
- Tedder, Dewey R. (Senior VP of Lorillard 1989-92)D.R. Tedder was employed by Lorillard, Inc. and served as Senior Vice President from 1989 to 1992; served as Senior Vice President (Leaf & Support Services) in 1993 and in 1995. (Source: LOI/LOC Summary of Officer & Directors - LOI/LTC Liability Notebook)
- Telford, George R. (LOR VP 1989-92)
- Tilley, Leonard M.Manufacturing Director -
- Tisch, Andrew H. (LOR President and CEO (1989-1995))Defense
- Tisch, James S.Defense
- Tisch, Jonathan (VP and on BOD of Lorillard 1987-95)
- Tucker, John W.manufacturing Director -
- Underwood, Daniel M.Defense
- Van Every, Peter J. (RJR Int'l VP, Gen. Counsel & Secretary, 1991-92)Defense
- Wall, Charles R. (PM VP & Assoc. Gen. Counsel, c. 1994)Vice President and Associate General Counsel for Philip Morris 1994-94 (may have been longer; this info was gleaned from documents); formerly worked for Shook, Hardy and Bacon.
- Wexler, Lawrence S. (PM Planning & Info Systems Sr. VP)Defense
- Wilson, Peter M. (Gallaher Tobacco Ltd.)
- Wilson, Stephen R. (Chief Financial Officer, RJR Nabsico, 1994)Stephen R. Wilson is chief financial officer of RJR Nabisco (1994) (DJ 7/29/94).
- Wright, Jason H. (RJR)
- Named Organization
- American Brands
- American Tobacco Company
- Arnold & Porter (PM Counsel)Counsel for Philip Morris.
- Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corporation (B&W)Subsidiary of BAT U.S., located in Louisville, KY.
- Burson Marsteller (Tobacco industry PR firm)Tobacco Industry public relations firm.
- Committee of Counsel (TI)
- Consolidated Cigar
- General Counsel
- General Foods
- Helme Tobacco (Marketed moist snuff under "Best Choice" label)In July 1992, Peer Marketing Associates Inc. agreed with Helme Tobacco to market private label moist snuff products under the "Best Choice" label (USDJ 7/15/92).
- Hunton & Williams (Counsel for Philip Morris)Counsel for Philip Morris, located in Richmond, VA.
- John Middleton, Inc. (Cigar Manufacturer)
- Kraft General Foods Inc. (A unit of Philip Morris, circa 1994)A unit of Philip Morris, circa 1994
- Loews Hotels
- Lorillard Tobacco Co. (American cigarette manufacturer)American cigarette manufacturer; makes Kent, MaxSatin, Newport, Old Gold, Style, and True cigarettes.
- Miller Brewing Co. (Subsidiary of Philip Morris Co.)Subsidiary of Philip Morris Co.
- Philip Morris Companies Inc. (Parent company of Philip Morris USA, Kraft, Miller)America's seventh-largest industrial enterprise in 1993, owns Kraft, Miller Brewing, General Foods, and more.
- Philip Morris International Inc. (A subsidiary of Philip Morris Cos (1994))A wholly-owned subsidiary of Philip Morris Companies in 1994
- Philip Morris Management Corp.
- Philip Morris Research Center (Did 1983 study which concluded that nicotine is addictive)Philip Morris Research Center did a 1983 study which concluded that nicotine is addictive, per New York Times (Reuters 4/5/94).
- Philip Morris U.S.A. (See Philip Morris Incorporated)See Philip Morris Incorporated
- Pinkerton Tobacco Co. (Leading producer of chewing tobacco in 1987)the leading producer of chewing tobacco in 1987
- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. (Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral))Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral)
- RJR Nabisco Inc. (Delaware corporation, subsidiary of RJR Nabisco Holdings)Subsidiary of RJR Nabisco Holdings Corp.
- Tobacco Exporters
- Tobacco Institute (Industry Trade Association)The purpose of the Institute was to defeat legislation unfavorable to the industry, put a positive spin on the tobacco industry, bolster the industry's credibility with legislators and the public, and help maintain the controversy over "the primary issue" (the health issue).
- Tobacco International
- United States Tobacco Company (Producers of Copenhagen/Skoal chewing tobacco)Producers of chewing tobacco
- UST Inc. (Parent of U.S. Tobacco Company)The parent corporation of United States Tobacco Company
Page 11: TI81040138
AMERICAN BRANDS, INC. 1700 East Putnam Avenue P. O. Box 819 Old Greenwich, CT 06870-0819 FAX: 203-637-2580 Alley, William J. Chairman of the Board & Chief Executive Officer June 1994 203-698-5000 Hays, Thomas C. Henson, Arnold Plancher, Robert L. Klemann Gilbert L., 11 Rukeyser, Robert J. Ludes, John T. Baueflein, Dudley L., Jr. Berish, Barry M. Bianca, Francis L Femous, Louis F., Jr. ~ ~loseph J. Humphrey, Howard C. Larrimore, Randall W. Mendenhall, Steven C. Wesley, Norman H. Lyon, Mark S. President & Chief Operating Officer Executive Vice President & Chief Accounting Officer Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer Senior Vice President & General Counsel Direct: 203-698-5153 FAX: 203-698-5172 Senior Vice President, Corporate Affaks Group Vice President Vice President & Treasurer Vice President, Distilled Spirits Vice President, Taxes Vice President & Secretary Vice President & Controller Vice President, Life Insurance Vice President, Hardware & Home Improvements Prod. Vice President & ChiefAdministative Officer Vice President, Office Products Assistant Secretary
Page 12: TI81040139
A2VIERICAN BRANDS, INC. Page 2 Bova, Thomas H. Phelan, Richard A. Cieitta, Sebastian M. Assistant Treasurer Assistant Treasurer Assistant Controller June 1994
Page 13: TI81040140
June 1994 AMERICAN BRANDS, INC. Page 3 DIRECTORS William J. Alley Eugene E. Anderson Dr. Patricia O. Ewers T-homas-C.. Hays Arnold Henson Howard C. Humphrey John W. Johnstone, Jr. Wendell J. Kelley Sidney Kirschner _GordonR~Lohman Charled H. Pistor, Jr. Peter M. Wilson T!8104-0140
Page 14: TI81040141
SWISHER INTERNATIONAL, Inc.. (formerly Helme Tobacco) 459 East 16th Street Jacksonville, FL 32206 June 1994 800-843-3731 FAX: 800-628-4675, 904-353-9175 Ryan, J. Thomas President Ghiloni, Peter Ziegler, Wtlliam, Senior Vice President, Marketing & Sales Chairman of the Board, American Maize Products Co. (Same address as above) Townend, John Vice President, Research & Development Helme Tobacco Company 4 Maple Street Helmetta, NJ 08828 Baker, Herb Vike, Gregory Vice President, Manufacturing Helme Tobacco Company 4000 Water Street Wheeling, WV 26003 Vice President Tobacco Leaf/Procurement/Warehousing Helme Tobacco Company 4000 Water Street Wheeling, WV 26003 Mann, Timothy President /no. H. Swisher & Son, Inc. 459 East Sixteenth Street Jacksonville, FL 32206 Ti8104-0141
Page 15: TI81040142
LORILLARD TOBACCO COMPANY One Park Avenue NewYork, NY 10016-5895 FAX: 212-545-3297 (Legal) June 1994 212-545-3000 Tisch, Andrew H. Orlowsky, Martin L. Orcutt, Richard H. Peterson, M. Alfred Stevens, Arthur I. Cherry, James R. Goldbrenner, Ronald S. Go~o~ Lou Simeonidis, Nick Telford, George R. Chairman & Chief Executive Ot~cer Direct: 212-545-3456 FAN': 212~5 -_33D_0 Executive Vice President Marketing & Sales Direct: 212-545-3323 FAX: 212-545-3448 Senior Vice President, Sales Direct: 212-545-3303 FAX: 212-545-3299 Senior Vice President, Finance Direct: 212-545-3319 FAX: 212-545-3166 Senior Vice President & General Counsel Direct: 212-545-3400 Vice President & Deputy General Counsel Direct: 212-545-3343 Associate General Counsel Direct: 212-545-3353 Vice President, Trade Development Direct: 212-545-3313 FAX: 212-545-3299 Counsel Direct: 212-545-3355 Vice President Advertising & Brand Management Direct: 212-545-3325 FAX: 212-545-3448 Ti8104-0142
Page 16: TI81040143
LORILI_Ad~ TOBACCO COMPANY 2525 East Market SWeet Greensboro, NC 27401 O1" P. O. Box 21688 Greensboro, NC 27420 Rapicom: 910-373-6917 June 1994 910-373-6600 Spears, Alexander W. (Dr.) Tedder, Dewey 1~. Moring, Thomas B. Vice President & Chief Operating Officer Direct: 910-373-6776 FAX: 910-373-6917 Senior Vice President, Operations Direct: 910-373-6750 Dkector, Quality Control Direct: 910-373-6827 Local Representatives N. R. Montes Division Manager Washington South Suite B2 7830 Backlick Road Springfield, VA 22150 Dan Carr, $r. Division Manager Washington North Suite 208 14300 Cherry Lane Court Laurel, MD 20707 Manufacturing Locations 2525 East Market Street 200 Kentuck Road Greensboro, NC 27401 Danville, VA 24540 910-373-6600 804-792-0521
Page 17: TI81040144
LOEWS CORPORATION 667 Madison Avenue NewYork, NY 10021-8087 FAX: 212-545-2973 June 1994 212-545-2000 Tisch, Laurence Pc Tisch,-P-rest on-R. Hausman, Robert J. Tisch, Jonathan M. Hofrnann, Herbert C. Tisch, James S. Posner, Roy E. Hirsch, Barry Garson, Gary W. Opotowsky, Smart B. Malino, John G. Abrams, Kenneth Piluso, Richard E. Smith, Dennis Kwart, Guy A. Kenny, John J. Chairman of the Board & Co-Chief Executive Officer _P-resident_&_Co-_ChiefExecutiv_e_Officer_ Vice President & Chairman, Loews Hotels Vice President & President, Loews Hotels Senior Vice President, Loews President & Director, Bulova Corporation Executive Vice President Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer Senior Vice President, Secretary & General Counsel Vice President, Assistant Secretary & Deputy General Counsel Vice President, Tax Vice President, Real Estate Vice President, Personnel Vice President, lntemal Audit Vice President, Management Information Services Controller Treasurer TlS104.-0144
Page 18: TI81040145
THE PINKERTON TOBACCO COMPANY P. O. Box 11588 6630 West Broad Street Riehmond~ VA 23230 FAX: 804-287-3282 Rapicom: 804-287-3208 June 1994 804-287-3200 McClure,32¢illiam_G,~I/I Morris, Michael D. P re sid ent_&_Chie f_O_p~r~ting_O~_c_er Vice President & Controller P. O. Box 986 1121 Industrial Drive Owensboro, KY 42301 Rapicom: 502-685-7353 502-685-7200 Pajak, Doug Vice President, Manufacturing TI8104-0145
Page 19: TI81040146
PINKERTON GROUP, INC. P. O.Box 11588 6630 West Broad Street Richmond, VA 23230 FAX: 804-287-3282 Rapicom: 804-287-3208 June 1994 804-287-3200 McClure, W-illiamG. Guinart, Thomas J. London, Robert McQuade, Jerry F. Licata, Lisa Stiles P~e sident_&_ChieLExecut "w_e Officer_ Executive Vice President Vice President, Marketing Vice President, Human Resources General Counsel & Secretary
Page 20: TI81040147
TOBACCO EXPORTERS INTERNATIONAL (USA) LTD. 2280 Mountain Industrial Blvd. Tucker, GA 30084 FAX: 404-493=8154 June 1994 404-493-1469 Mich6d, David -McGrath, George& Pless, Robert S. Spencer, Alan F. Bodycomb, Peter J. Guyonneau, Frederic Miller, K. Ward Baker, Kenneth C. President & Chief Executive Officer ViceP_resident~_Einance Vice President & General Counsel Director of Sales, USA Director of Sales, Duty-Free & Caribbean Director of Sales, French Territories & Latin America Director of Manufacturing Controller T!8104-0147