PUBLIC SMOKING ISSUE PROGRESS REPORT
Length: 37 pages
Jump To Images
Reports on progress of Public Smoking Program, strategies of which include a focus on indoor air quality, challenging the scientific community "to deal honestly with ETS," demonstration of the consequences of smoking restrictions, and use of third parties to communicate pertinent messages. Discusses the Center for Indoor Air Research, assistance to parties interested in workplace restrictions, media tours including "The Truth Squad," ETS ads and the use of organized labor on the issue of indoor air quality, push for ventilation standards, and establishment of NEMI. Reports on "The Great American Challenge," a challenge to the American Cancer Society "to test the air breathed by its staff, volunteers and visitors." Notes that TI will pay for the air audits if ACS agrees to use NEMI members to conduct audits, make the results public, and abide by NEMI's recommendations.
- Presentation Materials
- Tobacco Institute
- MN Depository
- Sparber, Peter G. (TI Vice President)Worked on combatting legislated and voluntary workplace smoking restrictions, a Tobacco Institute program to attack the insurance industry and undermine non-smoker discounts on insurance premiums, and and a program to form a coalition to publicly portray public health adovcates as intolerant, anti-social and in need of help.
- Named Person
- Oldaker, Guy B., III (CIAR/RJR ETS, Field Studies, Acting Executive Director of th)1988 PASS Briefcase and ETS Field Studies
- Crouse, William E. (LOR, Life Sciences Manager, Sr. Research Chemist)
- Robertson, John Graham "Gray" (ACVA Atlantic Inc. Indoor Air Polution consultant)1994 Long time ventilation consultant for industry. Proposed as a consultant to comment on Federal OSHA proposal on workplace smoking. See @healthy_buildings_intl
- Katzenstein, Alan W. (Industry Consultant, ETS)1987 Katzenstein consulted to the TI regarding the EPA's risk assessment as well as ETS issues in general. 1988 Went on media tours for TI related to smoking in the workplace.
- Fox, John C. (ETS legal consultant)1988 Went on media tours for TI discussing legal issues related to smoking in the workplace.
- Vaughn, DennisPlaintiff
- Carlough, Ed
- Named Organization
- Center for Indoor Air Research (CIAR) (Industry formed/funded air research organization)Nonprofit organization funded by the tobacco industry. CIAR was formed in March 1988 by tobacco companies "to sponsor "high-quality research on indoor air issues and to facilitate communication of research findings to the broad scientific community."
- *R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company (Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral brands))Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral brands)
- Lorillard Tobacco Co. (American cigarette manufacturer)American cigarette manufacturer; makes Kent, MaxSatin, Newport, Old Gold, Style, and True cigarettes.
- Today Show
- US Department of Labor
- US Chamber of Commerce
- American Society for Personnel Administration
- Covington & Burling (Tobacco Industry law firm)Tobacco industry law firm. Was involved in organizing the Whitecoat Project.
- Michigan Bell
- The Des Moines Register
- Service Employees International Union
- Massachusetts State Labor Federation
- AFL-CIO (American Federation of Labor/Congress of Industrial Organiza)Labor Union
- Sheet Metal Workers International Union
- Association of Union Ventilation Contractors
- National Energy Management Institute (Union of sheet metal and ventilation contractors)National Energy Management Institute - sheet metal workers and the Assoc. of Union Ventilation Contractors formed NEMI to fight workplace smoking restrictions and push ventilation.
- National Academy of Sciences
- *EPA ( use United States Environmental Protection Agency)
- National Council for Clean Indoor Air
- Washington, DC City Council
- Beverly Hills City Council
- American Cancer Society
- Philip Morris Companies Inc. (Parent company of Philip Morris USA, Kraft, Miller)America's seventh-largest industrial enterprise in 1993, owns Kraft, Miller Brewing, General Foods, and more.
- New York Times
- Washington Post
- USA Today
- Portland, Oregon
- Atlanta, Georgia
- San Francisco
- New Jersey
- Washington, DC
- New Hampshire
- Thesaurus Term
- Smoking Restrictions
- Industry Response
- Environmental Tobacco Smoke
- Mass Media
- Truth Squad
- Great American Smokeout
- Great American Challenge
No images found for document.