Date: 21 May 1980
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
- Judge, C.H.
- Date Loaded
- 05 Jun 1998
- Document File
- 03742772/03743161/Smoking on Planes Cigts Volume 3 780927 - 800620.
- LETT, LETTER
- LEGAL DEPT FILE ROOM
- MARG, MARGINALIA
- Kloepfer, W., J.R.
- Kornegay, H.R.
- Stevens, A.J.
- Copied (Organization)
- TI, Tobacco Inst
- Master ID
- 03742774 Nonsmoker in Iowa Loses Court Case on Airline Policy
- 03742778-2779 C.A.B.
- 03742780-2781 Cab Rulemaking Proposal Regarding 'provision of Designated 'no - Smoking' Areas Aboard Aircraft', Edr-399, Dated 800416
- 03742783-2785 Docket No. 38048, Edr-399, Dated 800416
- 03742786-2787 in the Matter of: Part 252 - Provision of Designated 'no - Smoking' Areas Aboard Air Carriers Certificate of Service United States of America Civil Aeronautics Board Docket No. 38048 (Edr-399, Dated 800416)
- 03742791 Memorandum to the Committee of Counsel
- 03742792-2794 Docket No. 38048, Edr-399, Dated 800416
- 03742798 Proposed Cab Regulation Regarding Request for No - Smoking Seat
- 03742799 Cab Might Reserve No - Smoking Section for Early Arrivals
- 03742800-2802 Civil Aeronautics Board (Edr-399; Economic Regulations Docket 38048, Dated 800416) 14 Cfr Part 252 Provision of Designated 'no - Smoking' Areas Aboard Air Carriers
- 03742805 Cab Might Reserve No - Smoking Section for Early Arrivals
- 03742806 Federal Relations Department Information Update
- 03742807-2815 Civil Aeronautics Board 14 Cfr Parts 221, 250, 255, and 298 (Economic Regulations, Docket 38021: Edr-396) Prescribed Airline Counter and Ticket Notices
- 03742816 Cab - Smoking on Aircraft
- 03742817-2818 Memorandum to Committee of Counsel
- 03742819-2821 Petition for Rulemaking to Eliminate Regulation 14 C.F.R. Part 252 Motion for Leave to File An Otherwise Unauthorized Document Before the Civil Aeronautics Board Washington, D.C. Docket No. 37657
- 03742822-2825 Petition for Rulemaking to Eliminate Regulation 14 C.F.R. Part 252 Answer of the Tobacco Institute, Inc. To Petition for Rulemaking Before the Civil Aeronautics Board Washington, D.C. Docket No. 37657
- 03742826-2846 Edr-377, Docket No. 29044, Dated 790516
- 03742862-2863 Delta Questions Cab Authority to Regulate Smoking
- 03742865 Smoking on Aircraft
- 03742869 Smoking on Aircraft
- 03742878 Eastern Airlines, Inc.
- 03742879-2880 Eastern Airlines, Inc
- 03742887 Memorandum to Committee of Counsel
- 03742888-2890 Edr-377, Docket No. 29044, Dated 790519
- 03742891-2892 in the Matter of: Provision of Designated 'no Smoking' Areas Aboard Aircraft Operated by Certificated Air Carriers Certificate of Service United States of America Civil Aeronautics Board Edr-377, Docket No. 29044
- 03742894 Down in Smoke, Sort of
- 03742895 Eastern Airlines, Inc. - Smoking on Aircraft
- 03742899 Eastern Airlines, Inc.
- 03742904 Eastern Airlines,Inc
- 03742909 Wheres There's Smoke, There's Fiery Flight
- 03742911 Committee of Counsel
- 03742912-2919 Edr-377, Docket No. 29044, Dated 790516
- 03742922 Tobacco Institute's 790817 Comments on Pending C.A.B. Proposals
- 03742924-2945 Edr-377, Docket No. 29044, Dated 790516
- 03742949-2950 Tan Action Request
- 03742953-2954 Tan Action Request
- 03743088-3097 Edr-377 Part 252 - Provision of Designated 'no-Smoking' Areas Aboard Aircraft Operated by Certificated Air Carriers
- 03743100-3103 Proposed Restrictions on Smoking Aboard Aircraft
- 03743104-3107 Tobacco Merchants Association of the U.S. National Bulletin
- 03743111 Docket 26368, Et Al. (Eastern Air Lines, Inc., Enforcement Proceeding), Motion of Action on Smoking and Health to Lift Stay of Review Proceedings on Initial Decision Approving Settlement of Alleged 'no-Smoking' Regulations -- Ogc Recommends Adoption of Draft Order Vacating the Initial Decision and Remanding the Proceeding
- 03743112-3113 Eastern Air Lines, Inc., Respondent. Enforcement Proceeding Order United States of American Civil Aeronautics Board Washington, D.C. Docket 26368, Et Al.
- 03743117-3138 Provision of Designated 'no-Smoking' Areas Aboard Aircraft Operated by Certified Air Carriers Ammendment of Part
- 03743143 Non-Smoker Wins Court Suit Against Airline
- 03743145 Nonsmoker Wins Case on Rights on Airline
- 03743155 Untitled Document 03743155
- 03743156-3157 United Airlines Appeals $410 Court Award
Page 1: czw61e00
QFFICE OF THE PRESiDENT May 21, 1980 Colonel Frank Borman President Eastern Air Lines 4600 N.W. 36th Street Miami, Florida 33148 Dear Colonel Borman: On Tuesday, May 13, 1980, I checked in at the departure gate at LaGuardia for Flight #595 approximately 45 minutes before flight time. I was ticketed first class but was informed by Agent Mike Clarke that the four (4) first class smoking seats were taken. He stated that there was no flexibility in Eastern's rules and that even if four more first class passengers wanted smoking seats, hY could not or would not add a smoking row. Additionally, with most airlines, we are able to select a seat at the time the reservation is made, but Eastern does not extend this privilege. Because of the inflexibility of your system or your agent, it was necessary for me to downgrade my ticket to tourist in order to obtain a smoking seat. Agent Mike Clarke, when making his pre-boarding announc.e- ment, stated, "We will.load by seat numbers beginning with the smoking section and then work up to first class." Such an announcement may please some of your customers, but it can't help with the one-third who smoke. r. A DIVISION OF LOEWS THEATFES, INC. 666 Fdth Avenue, New York, New York 10019
Page 2: czw61e00
C P Colonel Frank Borman May 21, 1980 Page two Now the good news: The cabin attendants on this flight were as fine as I've seen on any line and could not have been nicer or more attentive to everyone on board. I wish all our employees were as nice to our customers all the time. Would you please let me know whether Mr. Clarke properly interpreted your policy? I'm aware that the C.A.B. does provide flexibility when more smoking seats are needed and separation can still be maintained. M N Since--bly, / Curtis H.LJudge CHJ: cg bcc: A. J. Stevens, Esq. --Lorillard essrs. Horace R. Kornegay - TI William Kloepfer, Jr. - TI w