Date: 1978 (est.)
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
- LETT, LETTER
- LEGAL DEPT FILE ROOM
- Named Person
- Surgeon General
- Date Loaded
- 10 Apr 1999
- Document File
- 03732159/03732629/S and H Re Smoking and Health General Volume 3 780901790605.
- Named Organization
- American Cancer Society
- NCI, Natl Cancer Inst
- DRFT, DRAFT
- MARG, MARGINALIA
- Okag/Privilege Withdrawn
- Master ID
- 03732161 Tobacco Execs Deny Influence on Young
- 03732163-2164 Intrauterine Growth Retardation
- 03732167-2211 Controlling the Smoking Epidemic
- 03732212-2213 Major New W.H.O. Report on Smoking Ash Press Government for Strong Action
- 03732214-2221 Who Expert Committee Report on Smoking Control, 'controlling the Smoking Epidemic'
- 03732222 Ad Ban Urged on Tobacco
- 03732232 Smokers - Take Heart.
- 03732233 Theory Up in Smoke
- 03732234 Former Smoker Studies Challenged
- 03732235 Doctor Slams Link Between Smoking and Heart Disease
- 03732238 'convinced Stopping Smoking Does Not Reduce Heart Disease:'
- 03732239-2241 'smoking Does Not Cause Heart Disease and Drinking in Moderation Actually Reduces It'
- 03732247 Smoking in Public Endangers the Freedom to Breathe... And It Just Plain Stinks
- 03732248-2253 Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Dallas, 790401 - 790410
- 03732254 Cancer 'Assumption'
- 03732255-2256 'there Is No Epidemic of Cancer in the United States'
- 03732261 Smokers United
- 03732263-2264 Few Charged with Violation Despite City's Law Banning Smoking in Public Places, Smokers Puff Away
- 03732265-2270 Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology New Orleans, 790319-790321
- 03732271-2276 American Academy of Allergy New Orleans, 790326-790328
- 03732305-2346 Statement by Marvin A. Schneiderman, Ph.D. National Cancer Institute on Trends in Cancer Incidence and Mortality in the United States Before the Subcommittee on Health and Scientific Research Senate Committee on Human Resources 790305
- 03732355-2358 $5.9 Million Given for Smoking - Health Studies
- 03732359-2364 American Association for the Advancement of Science Houston, 790103-790108
- 03732370 Kaiser-Permanente Smoking - Mortality Relationship Report
- 03732372 No Hidden Causes Found in Smoking - Death Survey
- 03732374-2375 No Hidden Causes Found in Smoking - Death Survey
- 03732376-2379 American Heart Association's Sixth Science Writers Forum, Hilton Head Island, S.C., 790114-790117
- 03732381-2387 Analyzing the Daily Risks of Life
- 03732389 'nicotine of the Brain' Researched
- 03732393-2507 Scientific Bases for Identifying Potential Carcinogens and Estimating Their Risks
- 03732514-2515 Federal Tax Coordinator 2d
- 03732527-2530 Workplace Cancers: Politics Vs. Science
- 03732532 Tips for Teens
- 03732533 T
- 03732534 Vietnam Veteran's Family Vows to Continue His Fight
- 03732535-2536 Anti-Smoking Reports American Heart Association Science Writers Forum Hilton Head, S.C., 790114-17
- 03732558 They Know Risks and We Know Risks... But We Puff on
- 03732563 Untitled Document 03732563
- 03732564 Untitled Document 03732564
- 03732566 Smokers Shun Course on Death
- 03732567 Lung Cancer Deaths in Texas Rise to 'epidemic' Level, Study Finds
- 03732568 Fewer Workers Now Are Singing 'smoke Gets in Your Eyes' Firms Use Bonuses and Clinics to Get Employees to Quit, A Saving on Cleanup Costs
- 03732570-2571 Breathing Other People's Smoke
- 03732573-2589 the Bandwagons of Medicine
- 03732593-2594 Interview with Irving J. Selikoff 'we Have Only Found the Most Obvious' of Cancer's Agents
- 03732596-2597 Why Sue Elsie for Cholesterol?
- 03732605 Ann Landers Hair Dye Scare
- 03732607-2608 Here's A Smoker Who Would Rather Switch - and Sleep - Than Fight
- 03732611-2615 Psychology in Action the Smoking of Psychology
- 03732616-2617 Cancer 'counter Congress,' Paris, 781005- 781006
- 03732621 Chinese, the World's Heaviest Smokers, Told of Habit's Dangers for First Time
- 03732623 Doctors Deny Cigs Ok Claim
- 03732624 Doctor Lights Up the Way for Smokers
- 03732625 Lung Cancer 'will Drop Soon'
- 03732626 Lung Cancer on Decrease, Says Expert
- 03732627 He Quit Smoking, But . . .
- 03732628-2629 Cancer? Don't Blame Smokes
Page 1: cdr20e00
Dear Dr. Garb: Your letter of September 20 indicates that your ud ents ~ny w.~r4+ bs' . about cancer causation are quite differenc than sELae. This does not mean, however, that we need to differ on~the matter of support for a sound national cancer program. Those who have suggested to you that the tobacco industry has attacked such a'_ ~ program are quite wrong. /~e',~. r~teQl Tobacco smoking, of course, has been^a'~soci ated with the inci3ence of certain types of cancers. It has also been Q/lsdcoL~v Ie associated with other illnesses. Early reports of such associations pf .v~ A-t L.6d~..7~+%Q Al eatI y Aj prompted my company and its competitors to ~ss~ funds~ year /s A ago to support independent research aimed'at clarifications of these reported associations. We are very proud of the fact that this effort long antedated the first Surgeon General's report on smoking and health and the government's "war on cancer," and the_ aws.: : .in~uz?`rr ~ . : . L fact that aur f roaches $75 mill . .- ,..~ You correct i nt our plans 1 and attitudes as reported to you, . We have not A been, for example, in a position to know whether the National Cancer Institute has mismanaged its assignment. On the other hand,, we certainly are aware of suggestions from various sources that this is the case and we are equally aware of suggestions that r
Page 2: cdr20e00
Our view of the American Cancer Society is, of course, s,n et,.e lr believe ii%-~ ~1 that the organization somewhat different. We ^ has ill-servedthe public in its premature judgments about tobacco smoking, its politicization of the scientific controversy about tobacco and, on occasion, its misrepresentation of actual research results in the smoking and health field. We believe further that these activities have diminished rather than fostered: incentives and support for essential research in this field. We have never hesitated to express these beliefs to anyone. In clo"sing, let me compliment you on your particular interest in additional red"~ch on more effective and less toxic anticancer_ drugs. It seems impossible that anyone could dispute that aim. e