Dr. Jack R. Carter - Autopsy Study
Date: 06 Jun 1974
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
- Hoel, D.K.
- LEGAL DEPT FILE ROOM
- LETT, LETTER
- Named Organization
- Ctr, Council for Tobacco Research
- Lm, Liggett & Myers
- Named Person
- Carter, J.R.
- Date Loaded
- 07 Jan 1999
- Roemer, H.C.
- Stevens, A.J.
- Ahrensfeld, T.F.
- Bryant, D.
- Haas, F.P.
- Hetsko, C.F.
- Holtzman, A.
- Pollack, L.
- Okag/Privilege Withdrawn
- Author (Organization)
- Shb, Shook,Hardy & Bacon
- MARG, MARGINALIA
- Master ID
- 03646561-6562 S & H Re: Ad Hoc Program Advisory Group on Passive Smoking X - Reference: Re: Smoking & Health Program - NCI
- 03646563 Untitled Document 03646563
- 03646565-6568 Ad Hoc Program Advisory Group - Passive Smoking
- 03646571-6580 The National Conference on Smoking or Health: A Summary Report
- 03646582 the Changing Cigarette
- 03646583 the Health Lonsequences of Smoking the Changing Cigarette
- 03646584 'changing Cigarette'
- 03646588 Review of Final Work Group Report
- 03646589-6597 Future Strategies for the Changing Cigarette
- 03646609-6612 National Conference on Smoking or Health Developing A Blueprint for Action
- 03646613 Untitled Document 03646613
- 03646614 Review of Final Work Group Report
- 03646615-6624 Future Strategies for the Changing Cigarette
- 03646625-6627 Untitled Document 03646625/6627
- 03646631 Perspective Article
- 03646651-6653 Dup of Id 03646603-6605
- 03646657-6681 National Conference on Smoking or Health Developing A Blueprint for Action Major Recommendations of Work Group Meetings
- 03646684-6696 Remarks by Richard S. Schweiker Secretary of Health and Human Services National Conference on Smoking or Health
- 03646697-6717 National Conference on Smoking or Health Developing A Blueprint for Action Work Group Participants
- 03646720-6724 Urgent Message for Mr. Judge and Mr. Stevens
- 03646725-6729 Urgent Message for Mr. Judge and Mr. Stevens
- 03646733-6734 Untitled Document 03646733/6734
- 03646739-6760 the Changing Cigarette: A State-of-the-Art Position Paper
- 03646769 Legal
- 03646773-6775 Cost Estimate
- 03646776-6780 Tentative Protocol for A Study of Errors in Diagnosis
- 03646781 Western Reserve Autopsy Study
- 03646784 Proposed Special Scientific Project Autopsy Diagnosis of Lung Cancer Western Reserve
- 03646785-6789 Proposal to Review Clinical, Surgical and Autopsy Diagnosis of Lung Cancer
Page 1: ulp99d00
b DAVID R. HARDY JOHN T. MARTIN CHARLES L.BACON DAVID W. SHINN DAVID H. CLARK WILLIAM K. WAUGH, JR. LANE D.BAUER LEE E.9TANFORD FRANK P.SEBREE DAVID K. HARDY FREDERICK BEIHL WILLIAM 0. ZIMMERI.IAN WILLIAM W.SNINN ROBERT E.NORTHRIP JOHN C.DODS PATRICK MCLARNEY DONALD K. HOEL C. KEITH LARSON EVERETT A.OLSONrJR. HARVEY L.KAPLAN SHOOK, HARDY & BACON 915 GRAND AVENUE KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI 64106 TELEPHONE 474-C'}BO AREA CODE 4518 FRANK P. SEBREE SAM B.SEBREE EDGAR SHOOK (1854-1fl40) (1888/G58) (18fl4-1fl70) June 6, 1974 Thomas F. Ahrensfeld, Esq. DeBaun Bryant, Esq. Frederick P. Haas, Esq. Cyril F. Hetsko, Esq. Henry C. Roemer, Esq. Arthur J. Stevens, Esq. Re: Dr. Jack R. Carter - Autopsy Study Gentlemen: JAMES H.OTTMAN OF COUNSEL RUSSELL 9. NOBLET JOHN C.MON!CA CHARLES R.WALL SAM L.COLVILLE DAVID M. ROBERTS LOGAN J. WILSON JAMES T. NEWSOM GENE E.VOIGTS DAVID A.DOMINA STEPHEN D.ALIBER At the dmeeting of counsel tentative approval was given by all companies (except Liggett & Myers) to Dr. Carter's proposed autopsy study of lung cancer patients. Dr. Carter intends to examine the accuracy of, and bias`factors operative in, the diagnosis of lung cancer. He is especially interested in deter- mining the relationship between a patient's smoking history and the clinical diagnosis of.lung cancer. The original approval of Dr. Carter's project, contin- L. gc.-..ii.L. ~:Ss:iL GT'i O~..F a t r:i.i7lcaJ. rrOL, i.GVGl, was i LGr ain amount upon ai L: iS Su1..uu~i not to exceed $110,000. Dr. Carter has now completed that proto- col [attached] and has submitted a cost estimate in the sum of $86,305. This reduced amount is especially significant since Dr. Carter and his colleagues have already devoted an extensive amount of time to the project at no cost. Since Dr. Carter's protocol conforms with the guidelines suggested by Dr. Kastenbaum and others, we are advising CTR that
Page 2: ulp99d00
SHOOK, HARDY & BACON June 6, 1974 Page 2 Dr. Carter's two-year, $86,305 proposal has been approved as a special project. 4/~ Donald K. Hoel DKH:sh Enc. Airmail cc: Alexander Holtzman, Esq. Lester Pollack, Esq. L