Date: Nov 1981 (est.)
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
- Winkelstein, W., J.R.
- LEGAL DEPT FILE ROOM
- LETT, LETTER
- Erickson, A.C.
- Garfinkel, L.
- Holbrook, J.
- Lemaistre, C.A.
- Pinney, J.
- Named Organization
- Date Loaded
- 05 Jun 1998
- Named Person
- Holbrook, J.
- Author (Organization)
- Natl Conference on Smoking or Healt
- Univ of Ca
- MARG, MARGINALIA
- Master ID
- 03646561-6562 S & H Re: Ad Hoc Program Advisory Group on Passive Smoking X - Reference: Re: Smoking & Health Program - NCI
- 03646563 Untitled Document 03646563
- 03646565-6568 Ad Hoc Program Advisory Group - Passive Smoking
- 03646571-6580 The National Conference on Smoking or Health: A Summary Report
- 03646582 the Changing Cigarette
- 03646583 the Health Lonsequences of Smoking the Changing Cigarette
- 03646584 'changing Cigarette'
- 03646588 Review of Final Work Group Report
- 03646589-6597 Future Strategies for the Changing Cigarette
- 03646609-6612 National Conference on Smoking or Health Developing A Blueprint for Action
- 03646613 Untitled Document 03646613
- 03646614 Review of Final Work Group Report
- 03646615-6624 Future Strategies for the Changing Cigarette
- 03646625-6627 Untitled Document 03646625/6627
- 03646631 Perspective Article
- 03646651-6653 Dup of Id 03646603-6605
- 03646657-6681 National Conference on Smoking or Health Developing A Blueprint for Action Major Recommendations of Work Group Meetings
- 03646684-6696 Remarks by Richard S. Schweiker Secretary of Health and Human Services National Conference on Smoking or Health
- 03646697-6717 National Conference on Smoking or Health Developing A Blueprint for Action Work Group Participants
- 03646720-6724 Urgent Message for Mr. Judge and Mr. Stevens
- 03646725-6729 Urgent Message for Mr. Judge and Mr. Stevens
- 03646733-6734 Untitled Document 03646733/6734
- 03646739-6760 the Changing Cigarette: A State-of-the-Art Position Paper
- 03646769 Legal
- 03646771-6772 Dr. Jack R. Carter - Autopsy Study
- 03646773-6775 Cost Estimate
- 03646776-6780 Tentative Protocol for A Study of Errors in Diagnosis
- 03646781 Western Reserve Autopsy Study
- 03646784 Proposed Special Scientific Project Autopsy Diagnosis of Lung Cancer Western Reserve
- 03646785-6789 Proposal to Review Clinical, Surgical and Autopsy Diagnosis of Lung Cancer
Page 1: dyk71e00
~erence on Smoking FR Health ~ a Biueprint forAction Jyv',G r~ A;t~; Ea No -,~r i. New York, New York, Novemberl8-20,1981 rs a LeMaistre h'.C) . nan, Planning Commrttee ored w: )n ASSOOaOon Of OCalDational :ath NurkK. Inc :an Canar SodetY. tnc -an Coaege of Chest Pt~ns in Dental A5s06i',lon :an Heart Assouaoon 2r1 HpSpR)I ASsociatiOn :an Lung Assocutan 7n NUrSes' ASSOOa'JOn. tX. :an oCLVpatOnal MeCL" ;SOCHtidi . :3n PIJDIK Health ASSOaa6On :anS[tlOOl Healtfl AssOCUtion at onal Assocwtrcn o` Itiea: and Frost suUtOrS and AsbeStos wOrkers of Dimes zal inten2encY CounCil on Smoking ,d r+eatn -ut Conpress of Parents and Teactiet5 vt E(Jucatbon Assxrjon ,I for Pubh: Hearcn EduCation. Inc men;an Assocute)n for TnoracUc urgery Pwrtment of DePense :,epartrrent of Edu=atbn epart-nent of Hea ;n and Human ,erv ces tCr`ice Cn SmoKinq and ieartr, Puoi¢ Hearn 5erncet I., I am especially pleased that you will be attending the National Conference on Smoking OR Health scheduled for November 18-20, 1981 " in New York City, and that you will be joining the work group to discuss the important subject - FUTURE STRATEGIES FOR THE CHANGING CIGARETTE. My purpose in writing you now is to initiate the process which will culminate on November 20 with a report from our work group. Accom- panying this memorandum are two documents which I hope you will familiarize yourself with prior to the beginning of the Conference. They are: a background-position paper prepared by Dr. John Holbrook, who will also be the recorder for our work group, and the PHS pub- lication entitled, "The Changing Cigarette". As I see it, the objective of our work group is to produce a document which will clearly identif st, saffecting the development of po1- icies related to the use, control, development or elimination of_ the chan in cigarette. A number of governmental and non-governmental " agencies must evelop strategies dealing with the changing cigarette and we can render a substantial service if we identify critical issues; thus we may want to address such areas of concern as -- re- search and development, public information and education, regulation and financing. Other areas of concern may occur to you. I think that it would be very helpful if each of us brought to the meeting a brief one or two sentence statement of two issues which we would like the wor~roup_to_addr_ess. If these statements were typed separately on 3 x 5 file cards and sent to me in advance or given to me at the beginning of the meeting, it would facilitate the identification of priorities for consideration by the group. Address correspondence to ACS, 777 Third Avenue, N.Y., NY 10017. (2121371-2900 I 1 I
Page 2: dyk71e00
I look forward to our effective collaboration in this important effort. Thank you very much. ~ Yours truly, r~ ~~~ Warren Winkelstein, Jr., M.D. Dean, School of Pub lic Health University of California Work Group Leader Enc. cc: Charles A. LeMaistre, M.D. John Holbrook, M.D. John Pinney Lawrence Garfinkel Allan C. Erickson P.S. My address is: Earl Warren Hall Berkeley, CA 94720 P.S. - If you haven't already returned your hotel reservation card, please do so at once.