[Memorandum Regarding FDA Regulation of Low-Yield Cigarettes as a Drug]
Length: 1 page
Jump To Images
Transmits information from news conference by "Coalition on Smoking or Health" on two petitions filed with Food and Drug Administration (FDA): "one to have RJR's [R.J. Reynolds] announced new cigarette regarded as a drug for regulatory purposes, and the other to treat current low-yield cigarette brands the same way." States official Tobacco Institute response "after consultation with counsel...that there is a seeming inconsistency in the Coalition position given the historic affirmations by both Congress and FDA that cigarettes are outside the agency's statutory authority" (attachments missing).
- Tobacco Institute
- Named Organization
- Coalition on Smoking or Health
- Food and Drug Administration
- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.
- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. (Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral))Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral)
- Low-yield cigarettes
- Chilcote, Samuel D., Jr. (TI President (1981-1997))Chilcote has knowledge of The Tobacco Institute's and the tobacco industry's participation in public fraud and disinformation relative to health hazards of tobacco use, in the manipulation of nicotine in tobacco products and in marketing of tobacco products to children.
- Members of the Executive Committee