CIAR Meeting - 2-22-94
Length: 3 pages
Jump To Images
Contains legible handwritten notes from two-day meeting of Center for Indoor Air Research (CIAR). Discusses CIAR-funded research of Matanowski on "risk factors for lung cancer in smoking households vs. nonsmoking households" and links/uses of similar data from other studies (i.e. Koss). Describes findings from industry and independent bioassay studies of Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) and speculates about future research directions. Mentions preparation of data for Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regarding "psychosomatic reaction to ETS" and proposed industry interactions with International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). Outlines future international meeting schedule (see "Document Quotes" field for excerpts).
"The literature (and RJR [R.J. Reynolds] and PM [Philip Morris] research) show fresh SS [sidestream smoke] has biological activity on Ames, etc. 2x that of MS [mainstream smoke]; this drops off tremendously when the SS is room aged."
"IARC [International Agency for Research on Cancer]: 1. Max [Eisenberg] has conducted discussions with Nancy Haley and will pursue IARC contacts; 2. This must be cleared through the IEMC [International ETS Management Committee] group!!"
"RJR [R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.] is preparing data to go to OSHA [Occupational Safety and Health Administration] in April that goes to the issue of psychosomatic reaction to ETS [Environmental tobacco smoke]."
- Meeting minutes
- Named Person
- Eisenberg, M.
- Haley, N.
- Rupp, John P. (TI Communication Committee, Covington & Burling lawyer)TI Communication Committee
- Named Organization
- American Journal of Epidemiology
- *British American Tobacco Company Limited BAT (See British-American Tobacco Co.)Defense
- British American Tobacco
- Center for Indoor Air Research
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) (WHO cancer research arm)International Agency for Research on Cancer - The cancer research arm of the WHO. Conducted a multi-center epidemiology study on ETS, initiated in 1988, data collection completed in 1994 and results were published in 1998
- International ETS Management Committee IEMC (International ETS Management Committee (Industry))Int'l ETS Management Committee consisting of headquarters representatives of BAT, American Brands/Gallaher, Imperial Tobacco, PM, Reemstma, Rothmans and RJR
- International Agency for Research on Cancer
- International ETS Management Committee
- Japan Tobacco Inc.
- JT (Japan Tobacco Inc)Japan Tobacco Inc
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Held hearings in 1994 to ban smoking in workplaces)OSHA opened hearings in September 1994 on a proposal that amounts to a virtual ban on smoking in every workplace in the nation
- Philip Morris Cos, Inc.
- PM (See Philip Morris Companies Inc.)Defense
- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.
- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. (Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral))Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral)
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Cardiovascular disease
- Environmental tobacco smoke
- Joint CIAR/IEMC Meeting
- Lung cancer
- Mainstream smoke
- Sidestream smoke
- Federal level
- Government agencies
- Health effects
- Human subjects
- Industry front groups
- industry sponsored research
- International level
- Political influence
- Research studies
- secondhand smoke
- tobacco industry structure