Page 2: 2023004618
Directed at specific audiences
"Old Joe" Camel advertisements
B. Com[}ensation, executive
Agreements: Change of Control and Employment
Business with minority groups
Meetings: Board of Directors
New York headquarters
Officers, minority and women
Stock - Divestment
Page 3: 2023004619
1. Affirmative Action
2. Testing for unlawful drugs
3. Testing for AI:DS
4. Sexual harassment:
6. Hiandicapped employees
7. Club memberships
8 KGF Management Development and Personnel
9. KGF union relations
10,. KGF safety
11. KGF affirmative action
12. Closure of Hoboken plant
13.. Closure of Evansville, Ind. facility
14. Move of Baker's chocolate to Canada
15. Oscar Mayer plant closings
3. KGF Products
Page 4: 2023004620
actual and threatened:
Smoking and health products liability suits
Rocco Cappuccitti/OPDI vs Frito-Lay (HFL),
2. Philip Morris USA, suits and issues
3. KGF litigation
4. Human Ressources (class actions)
Questior~ at other companies' annual meetings
(to be developed between April 1 and 16 rehearsals)
K. Smoking and Health (including animal rights)
2. Miller Brewing
Page 6: 2023004622
What iis Philiip Morriis, position, on the American Medical: Association's call for a
complete ban on the advertising and promotion of all tobacco products?
• AMA's proposal directly conflicts with fundamental rights to commercial
free speech u,nder the First Amendment
• We doubt such a ban would have the intended effect. In some countries
smoking actually increased following the imposition of advertising bans
Does Philip Morris make special efforts to advertise its cigarette products to
African-Americans, Hlispanic-Ameriicans and women?
• We: advertise our cigarette products to adults, whatever their ethnic and
socio-economic background, who choose to smoke
• As one of the nation's largest advertisers in print media, it is not
surprising that PM advertises in many African,American, Hispanic-
American and women's publications
Does Philip Morris target minors in its advertising?
• No.= We participate in programs to discourage the young from smoking
• We have developed a major retail and vending program called "l:t's the
Law" to discourage sales to those under age
• We participate in design and distribution ofi booklet, Helping Youth Say
"No", to enable edu,cators and parents to help mi!nors
Page 7: 2023004623
The "Old Joe" Camel advertisement; for RJ'R's Camels is receiving much
criticism from the Surgeon General, other government officials and the AMA.
What is Philip Morris' position?
• It~ is not our practice to comment on the advertising of our competitors..
However, we believe that the First Amendment protections which extend
to commercial speech adequately and morally shield this advertising
from such, attacks
How would Philip Morris business be affected by the enactment of any of the
current proposals on non-dedUctibility ofi cigarette advertising expenditures?
• Would adversely affect our ability to advertise our products
Are U.S. cigarette manufacturers introducing cigarette advertising to newly
opened international markets, causing more people to smoke?
• Vast~ majority of st:udies show that advertising has no significant influence
on whether or not; to begin to smoke. People begin because of familial
circumstances, societal influences and peer behavior
• This issue was examined at length: during the Constitutional Challenge to
the Tobacco Products Control Act in~ Canada. Matter was litigated for
months, and no. basis was found for allegation that cigarette advertising
is the cause of smoking
Page 8: 2023004624
What measures restricting advertising have been adopted outside the United
• Most countries have regulations which affect advertising in general and.
cigarette advertising in particular. Countries such, as Singapore have
total bans while nations such as Germany and Japan respect the
importance, ofi commercial free speech
What; is the current situation with respect to advertising in the EC countries?
• A draft Advertising Directive banning all tobacco advertising was
recently approved: by a narrow margin by the European Parliament
• But Directives do not become law unless adopted: by the Council of
Ministers,. The next Council vote will be in May 1992. Currently five of
the 12 EC Member States oppose the Directives. This minority
constitutes a blocking vote under the rules of the European Parliament
What is the status of the constitutional challenge to the advertising ban for
tobacco products in Canada?
• On. July 26, 1991 the Quebec Superior Court struck down Canadian
Tobacco Products Control Act (T.P.C.A.)L Judgement found no basis for
allegation that cigarette advertising is the cause of smoking
• Canadian government filed an appeal! in 1991 which will be heard in
Quebec Court of Appeals in May 1992. It is expected the appeal
judgement will be taken to the Canadian, Supreme Court
Page 10: 2023004626
1992 ANNUAL SHAREHOLDERS MEETING
COMPENSATION OLIESTION & ANSWERS
1,. What is Philip Morris Compensation Philosophy?
We provide competitive levels of base pay to attract and retain top talent.
We pay for performance tied to results, and emphasize large variable pay
when, maximizing shareholder value.
Fair, motivating and rewarding.
Consistent with company's culture and organization.
2. How closely tied is the level of our pay programs tO business results?
We believe they are closely aligned.
Our compensation levels are reflective of our strong performance.
Philip Morris pay programs are linked to business results at the corporate,
business unit and individual levels.
Philip Morris pay for performance philosophy links salary increases to
achievement of individ~uaI goals and objectives,
Incentive compensation payouts (annual incentive, stock option and long-
term programs): are based on corporate and business unit measures such as::
- EPS growth
- Revenue growth
- Volume growth
- Market share growth
The quantitative measures vary depending upon the business and may be
combined with a discretionary component.
Do you believe your plans are competitive? Do, you believe that comparing with
competition is a good way to set Compensation Programs?
Yes, our plans are competitive.
We believe that comparisons are appropriate, however, we design our plans to
support our specific needs and: initiatives.
We look at what competitors are doing to remain aware of their practices.
Are Philip Morris pay practices similar around the world/similar across operating
Yes, they are similar.
Philip Morris pay philosophy., which is to pay for performance, is uniform aroundl ~,
the worldl and between operating companies. ~
Actual pay practices, are tailored to meet business needs and; will vary as it
makes business sense tO do so.