Action Team Notes
Date: 28 Mar 1994
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Oultines committee activities under headings of: 60 Minutes/Ignition Propensity, FDA, Ingredients, Media, ETS/IAQ/OSHA, etc., Ads, and General.
- Meeting Minutes
- Named Person
- *Boland, J. (use Boland, James E.)Defense
- Juchatz, Wayne W. (RJR, Senior VP, Secretary and Counsel, 1993)Wayne W. Juchatz served as Director in for RJR Tobacco Co. 1987, 1990-1995, Vice President in 1986, General Counsel & Secretary in 1986, 1988-1995, Senior Vice President & General Counsel for RJR Tobacco Development Company in 1987, Senior Vice President 1988-1994, and Executive Vice President in 1995. (Source: R. J. Reynolds Summary - RJR Liability Notebook). Wayne Juchatz was Assistant Secretary in 1984. (Source: RJR Who's Who NMLRP)
- Maguire, A.
- Merlo, Ellen (PM Corp. Affairs VP)Marketing Services prior to 1986. Understood use of nicotine addiction in selling PM products.
- Parrish, Steven C. (PM, Sr. VP, General Counsel)Partner of industry law firm Shook Hardy and Bacon before going to work for PM. Was VP of PM Corporate Scientific Affairs in 1990. Defends PM on television.
- Roper, B.
- Whist, Andrew (PM External Affairs Sr. VP)Served as Senior Vice President of External Affairs for Philip Morris, Inc. in 1986 and again from 1992 to 1993.
- Named Organization
- 60 Minutes
- Arnold & Porter (PM Counsel)Counsel for Philip Morris.
- Beveridge & Diamond
- NSA (National Smoker's Alliance)1994 National Smoker's Alliance 1994 - to present. Front group formed by Philip Morris Tobacco Company to oppose smoke-free laws without its corporate involvement being detected.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Held hearings in 1994 to ban smoking in workplaces)OSHA opened hearings in September 1994 on a proposal that amounts to a virtual ban on smoking in every workplace in the nation
- Philip Morris U.S.A. (See Philip Morris Incorporated)See Philip Morris Incorporated
- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. (Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral))Cigarette manufacturer (Camel, Winston, Doral)
- Project Hamlet (Fire Safe Cigarette)
- Hamilton case
- Joe Six Pack
- Thesaurus Term
- mass media
- Federal level
- Government agencies
- Safer cigarettes
Page 1: 2022997459
ACTION TEAM NOTES 3/28/94 60 Minutes/Ignition Propensit~ We are considering instituting contempt proceeding against Andy Maguire for violation for the court's protective order in the Hamilton case. There is some evidence that Maguire may have distributed confidential documents to 60 Minutes or others. A statement has been prepared for use in responding to media and analyst calls. A copy is attached. Linehan will brief Moakley on the facts of Project Hamlet, etc. SHB will brief Linehan on status of research. A congressional hearing on self-extinguishing dgarettes has been scheduled for April 19. Parrish will discuss RJR's position with Juchatz. FDA A complete review oF our documents will be conducted. Arnold & Porter is preparing a recommended legal strategy. We have collected and reviewed the deNoble documents. Wall is preparing a response. Andrade will continue identifying potential FDA consultants for purposes of testimony - meetings with FDA intelligence gathering Wall is preparing an explanation of the deNoble documents. We may need to have a company witness testify regarding the deNoble work.
Page 2: 2022997460
Ingredients Parrish will convene a meeting to develop a recommended strategy regarding ingredients disclosure. should it be proactive .. how done, etc. Parrish will find out where RJR ison the issue. Media On Friday, Parrish briefed a MacNeil/Lehrer producer regarding our issues. If invited to appear this week, we will accept. We will urge Althaus (NSA) to become more visible and.emphasize the prohibition theme. Parrish and Merlo will meet with Whist and Borelli regarding conservative media outreach. ETS IIAO IOSHA, etc, Jim Boland is working with PM-USA to activate labor and members of the hospitality plan. Beveridge & Diamond lawyers are exploring ways to expedite the EPA lawsuit, Ads Merlo is working with Bob Roper and others on an advertising strategy. General There was discussion re: the need to develop third parties to speak out, write, testify, etc. We identified several areas: - conservative media former FDA officials - smokers ("Joe Six Pack") Campbell, Fuller, Merlo and Parrish will meet with RJR on Thursday to discuss joint efforts.