[Regarding Funding of Aviado]
Length: 2 pages
Jump To Images
Provides status report on Aviado, indicating he is leaving Allied Chemical and plans to keep some of his connections with federal government research agencies, pharmaceutical companies, and several medical schools and state governments. Indicates "Aviado is convinced that airborne components need to be tested by inhalation rather than by skin testing, feeding, etc." Requests "authority to make a grant or set up some other arrangement" equalling his current total salary, noting he "has been most helpful...in several important areas such as carbon monoxide and 'dependency'". Indicates "personal and confidential" and encloses Domingo's curriculum vitae (attachment missing).
- Shinn, William W. (TI Communications; Shook, Hardy, CTR Attorney)TI Communications Committee and was also a lawyer for CTR. William W. Shinn worked for Shook, Hardy & Bacon.
- Author (Organization)
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon (Tobacco Industry law firm)Tobacco Industry law firm based in Kansas City, KS.
- Ahrensfeld, Thomas F. (PM General Counsel & Sr. VP, TI Executive Committee)TI Executive committee
- Crohn, Max H., Jr. (RJR Attorney, General Counsel, CTR Director)Max H. Crohn Jr. was the former General Counsel for R.J. Reynolds and he worked for Jacob, Medinger & Finnegan.
- Greer, Joseph H. (LM Gen. Counsel, Asst. Secretary 1972-74)J. H. Greer was employed by Liggett & Myers, Inc. and served as Assistant Secretary from 1972 to 1974. (Source: L&M, et al Summary of Officers & Directors - LGI/LTC Liability Notebook.) Joseph H. Greer is former General Counsel for Liggett & Meyers.
- Henson, A.American, General
- Pepples, Ernest, J.D. (BW General Counsel and Sr. VP)
- Stevens, Arthur Joseph (LOR Sr. VP '89-95 and TI Communications)Served on Lorillard Board of Directors 1985-92, was Senior Vice President from 1989 to 1995, served as General Counsel for Lorillard '93-95. Served on Tobacco Institute Communications Committee.
- Brown, Janet C. (CTR Director, Attorney, Chadbourne & Parke)CTR Director 1/31/81
- Holtzman, Alexander (PM Asst General Counsel. 1975-85.)
- Jacob, Edwin J. (CTR Special Projects, key legal strategist)Key legal strategist in many capacities, including Jacob, Medinger & Finnegan (CTR). Career stems from 1950's. CTR Special Projects.
- Named Person
- Aviado, Domingo M., M.D. (CTR Consultant; Special Projects Recipient)Dr. Aviado was a University of Pennsylvania professor and did work for tobacco companies. Dr. Aviado did secret dog inhalation studies in 1970s which were apparently covered up. Dogs were inhaling. No research papers were ever done, apparently (B.C. 7/7/94).
- Named Organization
- United States Food and Drug Administration
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health NIOSH (NIOSH)National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health is NIOSH.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (An addiction research center in Baltimore, MD)An addiction research center located in Baltimore, MD
- *EPA ( use United States Environmental Protection Agency)
- United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (Consumer Product Safety Commission)Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Allied Chemical Corporation
- New Jersey Medical and Dental School
- University of Pennsylvania Medical School
- Thesaurus Term
- inhalation study
- animal subject
- government agency
- industry sponsored research
- tobacco industry structure
- carbon monoxide
- industry influence